VOGONS

Reply 20 of 495, by jaZz_KCS

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So if I read that correctly, all parts can be ordered, except the PCB, the volume wheel as well as the bracket.

In addition to that, you need either a "44-PLCC to 40-DIP adapter" together with a "SB 2.0 DSP chip from China"
-or-
buy a blank Atmel 89S51 (as listed in the BOM) and program it?

I am a bit wary of joining one of the order lists, as I would like to know whether I would be able to successfully assemble this one, or whether I will have to stop at one point, missing some kind of rare chip or part throughout the way...

Reply 21 of 495, by suntac

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
jaZz_KCS wrote:

I am a bit wary of joining one of the order lists, as I would like to know whether I would be able to successfully assemble this one, or whether I will have to stop at one point, missing some kind of rare chip or part throughout the way...

All the chips used in this design are pretty commonplace.
Paradoxically, the most problematic part to obtain (for me) would be the quad-timer IC NE558.

Reply 22 of 495, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
keropi wrote:
I noticed this on the github page about the firmware: […]
Show full quote

I noticed this on the github page about the firmware:

The Firmware
There are two ways to get a programmed 80C51 chip for the Snark Barker. One is to purchase a SB 2.0 DSP chip from China and put it in a 44-PLCC to 40-DIP adapter. This works fine and provides the largest feature set.

Another option is to buy a blank Atmel 89S51 (as listed in the BOM) and program it with this HEX file.

what is this "SB 2.0 DSP chip from China" , anyone knows?!
also added my self on that sheet 😎

So I was looking up the difference between the SB 1.5 DSP andf the SB 2.0 DSP and here is what I found:

While the v2.00 DSP added auto-initialize DMA capabilities to the SB1.5 (a good thing), the Sound Blaster 2.0 shipped with DSP version 2.01, which additionally features higher playback and input rates (via the high-speed modes).

On this thread:
Sound Blaster 1.0 worthwhile?

The DSP differences are also outlined here:
http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/2010/06/i … d-blasters.html

I would also like to know what to look for but I guess I can go through my SB 2.0 cards and find the chip part number there as a google search is not coming up with anything.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 23 of 495, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

^ the issue is not the chip part - the issue is what we don't have the SB2.0 firmware to burn on it
it will be the same mcu as the SB1.5 AFAIK
really wondering what chinese sellers have SB2.0 mcus...?!

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 24 of 495, by BloodyCactus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

well mame has in it the sb16 rom. maybe they have a 2.0 rom as well?

--/\-[ Stu : Bloody Cactus :: [ https://bloodycactus.com :: http://kråketær.com ]-/\--

Reply 25 of 495, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
suntac wrote:

Nice work, mate!

Sorry, I thought I was sufficiently clear: not my work, it's the work of "Tube Time"/schlae.

And yes, alternate names for this include:

SNOOD BLOOBER, SOUND BLUSTER, EAR BUSTER, SNART FARTER, SNUD BLUFFER, SNARD BLARGER, SNEED BLEEPER, SNORP BLORPER, SNOT BLOTTER, and SNOOT BOOPER. 🤣

https://twitter.com/TubeTimeUS/status/1086451648396898304

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 26 of 495, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I ordered 10 PCBs at JLC. Will take some time due to chinese new year. Will contact the interested people once the PCBs arrived. Will be around 11th Feb, most probably.

YouTube and Bonus
80486DX@33 MHz, 16 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & GUSar Lite, PC MIDI Card+X2+SC55+MT32, OSSC

Reply 27 of 495, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'll be following this thread with interest 😀

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 28 of 495, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
root42 wrote:

I ordered 10 PCBs at JLC. Will take some time due to chinese new year. Will contact the interested people once the PCBs arrived. Will be around 11th Feb, most probably.

Thanks, will be expecting your contact. Feel free to PM me here as well, I'm not big on checking email unfortunately, I could miss your mail 🙁

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 29 of 495, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I sent a message to the tubetime bolg about the SB2.0 chinese DSPs , seems it's in moderation queue or something... I hope we get a reply!

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 30 of 495, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Would it be possible to dump the code from a SB2.0? Or are they read-protected? Would be nice to be able to upgrade the card later to 2.0 capabilities.

YouTube and Bonus
80486DX@33 MHz, 16 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & GUSar Lite, PC MIDI Card+X2+SC55+MT32, OSSC

Reply 32 of 495, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
keropi wrote:

I sent a message to the tubetime bolg about the SB2.0 chinese DSPs , seems it's in moderation queue or something... I hope we get a reply!

Please share the info here if you get an answer back 😀

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 33 of 495, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
root42 wrote:

Would it be possible to dump the code from a SB2.0? Or are they read-protected? Would be nice to be able to upgrade the card later to 2.0 capabilities.

https://twitter.com/tubetimeus/status/1019310664521662464

+ I cant find it anymore, but I remember reading a post on MAME/MESS mailing list? or some forum about guys running chips thru decapping/dumping service and there was a talk of already obtained SB 2.0 and 16 4.05 firmwares.

Edit:
https://github.com/joncampbell123/doslib/tree … oms/ct1741/mame
ct1741_v413 hanging note bugged, common to SB 16 CT2230/AWE32 CT3990

Last edited by rasz_pl on 2019-01-29, 21:55. Edited 1 time in total.

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 34 of 495, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Cyrix200+ wrote:

I would like 1 😀

Me too!

If Cyrix200+ is OK with it you can ship my board to him too to save on shipping, I live close by so can easily pick it up locally.

Reply 35 of 495, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dionb wrote:
Cyrix200+ wrote:

I would like 1 😀

Me too!

If Cyrix200+ is OK with it you can ship my board to him too to save on shipping, I live close by so can easily pick it up locally.

I don't mind. As I said: German Post probably won't take the PCBs anyway, so I will most probably have to opt to DHL or Hermes, depending on how much people want to spend on shipping.

YouTube and Bonus

Reply 36 of 495, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dionb wrote:
Cyrix200+ wrote:

I would like 1 😀

Me too!

No problem!

1982 to 2001

Reply 37 of 495, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
root42 wrote:
dionb wrote:
Cyrix200+ wrote:

I would like 1 😀

Me too!

I don't mind. As I said: German Post probably won't take the PCBs anyway, so I will most probably have to opt to DHL or Hermes, depending on how much people want to spend on shipping.

Yikes, DHL and Hermes are rather expensive.. My friends in DE can actually ship sound/graphics cards to me in bubble envelopes via DP Standard International, please do first check if that really is not an option. Cheers 😀

Also, just to make sure I get the ongoing conversation right: Every component on this card can be found online? As I understand only the DSP BIOS chip is difficult to get and needs to be programmed? Can anyone here volunteer to program and forward the chip to me if I order one to their address?

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 39 of 495, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
root42 wrote:

DP won't? I've received enough complete cards shipped as 'letter' via DP, these PCBs are flatter so should be no problem.

That said, where in DE are you located? If costs get prohibitively high I might just drive over to pick them up 😉