VOGONS

First post, by infiniteclouds

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My main PC is an ASUS X79 Deluxe, 4820K i7 and a 760GTX (4GB). I've read that the 700 series Kepler cards are actually really great for XP and I was considering just popping in another SSD with an XP install in here rather than making a dedicated machine for XP. However, this motherboard has no standard PCI slots. I know there were PCI-e Sound Blasters but I'm not that familiar with them. Are there any that would give the full EAX experience in Windows XP?

Reply 1 of 4, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

A PCI-E X-Fi Titanium series card will do the trick.

You can even use Windows 10 with any of the X-Fi cards and use Creative Alchemy to restore EAX functionality.... you just have to use the Alchemy configuration program to add each game.

Stay away from the xtreme audio series as those are the super cut-down.. not hardware accelerated wannabe versions of the card.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 3 of 4, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I don't think there are going to be any disadvantages.

Only thing I can even think of that would not even be a disadvantage in your case is that there are no DOS drivers.

The X-Fi will also not have 15-pin gameport capability, but that is a moot point with XP and up anyway since you could use a USB to gameport adapter if you really just had to use a gameport controller.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 4 of 4, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have a Titanium Fatal1ty Champion, for my Final WinXP build, its a really nice card, No drawbacks that I've noticed.
Just stay away from the Titanium HD range as they dropped WinXP support