VOGONS

First post, by The_Red_Fox

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Recently i have decided to run windows 2000 on my old compaq deskpro en (the p733 model), but i can not find the right drivers for the sound, i tried looking at the HP website but they took down the drivers and all the other drivers i have found refuse to work with the integrated audio, i tried using a older version of everest and it reported that my sound chip was the following
i3baro.jpg
I was wondering if someone here might have the right drivers for windows 2000
(Here is a picture of the computer)
8zhdg0.jpg

Reply 3 of 12, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Earlier models of this have an ESS ES1869 onboard, later models have an (IIRC) Analogue Devices AC97 codec. Pop the hood and look inside, let us know what you find. If you are VERY lucky you may also find an anboard GeForce 2 Pro.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 4 of 12, by The_Red_Fox

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
darry wrote:

Thanks man but unfortunately this did not work, it loads everything as if it were actually installing the drivers, but then just gives me this error message:
2iasa69.jpg

appiah4 wrote:

Earlier models of this have an ESS ES1869 onboard, later models have an (IIRC) Analogue Devices AC97 codec. Pop the hood and look inside, let us know what you find. If you are VERY lucky you may also find an anboard GeForce 2 Pro.

I took a look and this one seems to be the audio chip my motherboard has (sorry for the poor picture quality and the really dusty interior), the text on it says AD1885 JST 0023 w20827.4
2ilj5tz.jpg

Reply 6 of 12, by The_Red_Fox

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Unknown_K wrote:

I tried to use this one, but it asks me for a second cd containing the file RemADI.exe, I still have the old hard drive with Windows XP with the working drivers, is there a way to get the drivers out of the old windows installation and put them in windows 2000?
2qly14y.jpg

Reply 7 of 12, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Just get the ADI1885 drivers from.. well, anywhere? Do a google search for ADI1885 Drivers for Windows ?? and download them.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 8 of 12, by The_Red_Fox

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
appiah4 wrote:

Just get the ADI1885 drivers from.. well, anywhere? Do a google search for ADI1885 Drivers for Windows ?? and download them.

I tried, but it looks like every driver i download is corrupted, since it always gives me the same error, Driver not found! "Default selection will reboot your system and restart setup, selection of option " no " will abort the installation" with only an "ok" button on the dialog box, even manually restarting the system does not help

Reply 9 of 12, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Onboard sound, especially AC97 era rarely works with generic drivers I've found.

This link looks promising if a bit dodgy.
https://www.nodevice.com/drivers/pc/compaq/de … orm-factor-p800

The sound option lets you download sp21180.zip
This is good as Compaq drivers always start with sp
Extract it but dont run setup.exe that's crap from the website and not original
Run driver.exe this is the original driver

If that fails what's the p/n of the EN or the motherboard?

Reply 10 of 12, by AmiSapphire

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I do have a version of these drivers in the old Compaq FTP mirror. Someday, I would probably create a database to organize these files, because it's tedious looking through all these directories.

.TXT file for SP21180 as reference, and the P733 does seem to be listed in the document:
http://cwcyrix.duckdns.org/ftp-archives/ftp.c … 500/sp21180.txt

HP's FTP server is still live, however, it's supposedly no longer indexed by Google:
ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp21001-21500/sp21180.txt

Site update: cwcyrix.duckdns.org -> cwcyrix.nsupdate.info due to the former no longer working.

Reply 11 of 12, by zyga64

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Try those. For Windows 2000 choose WDM one. (VXD is for Windows 9x).
I've used those drivers with Compaq Deskpro EN in the past.

1) VLSI SCAMP /286@20 /4M /CL-GD5422 /CMI8330
2) i420EX /486DX33 /16M /TGUI9440 /GUS+ALS100+MT32PI
3) i430FX /K6-2@400 /64M /Rage Pro PCI /ES1370+YMF718
4) i440BX /P!!!750 /256M /MX440 /SBLive!
5) iB75 /3470s /4G /HD7750 /HDA

Reply 12 of 12, by Bholzwa

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
chinny22 wrote on 2019-03-18, 16:00:

This link looks promising if a bit dodgy.
https://www.nodevice.com/drivers/pc/compaq/de … orm-factor-p800

Chinny22’s link worked for me. Scroll down to the one that says Analog Devices - ADI audio driver for windows.

I have a Compaq TR100 motherboard with AD1885 sound chip. Likely from a presario 5000 series oem tower

Spent so many hours trying anything I could think of to get sound going. So thankful for stumbling upon this forum!

Strangely, after installing the exe and restarting, I was prompted to put in the windows 98 second edition CD. I would have tried it, but I couldn’t eject the cd I made for this audio driver because it was in use. So I just clicked ok and continued. It prompted me looking for a lot of files (that were presumably on the win98se disc) that I just had to skip. After I skipped 20+ missing files, loaded into desktop and everything is fine. Possibly a mishap due to it being an OEM board? Idk I’m just happy my sound works!!