Reply 20 of 114, by Srandista

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dreamblaster wrote:

...we plan to come with some great things still in 2019 😀

my_body_is_ready.png

Socket 775 - ASRock 4CoreDual-VSTA, Pentium E6500K, 4GB RAM, Radeon 9800XT, ESS Solo-1, Win 98/XP
Socket A - Chaintech CT-7AIA, AMD Athlon XP 2400+, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9600XT, ESS ES1869F, Win 98

Reply 21 of 114, by ZipoBibrok

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok. Terratec EWS64 cards used Dream chips, and they had a free bank editor (Ed!son) available. Do Dream's current terms for some bizarre reason prohibit providing something like that to end user?

Reply 22 of 114, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ZipoBibrok wrote:

Ok. Terratec EWS64 cards used Dream chips, and they had a free bank editor (Ed!son) available. Do Dream's current terms for some bizarre reason prohibit providing something like that to end user?

Are you sure the Dream chipset was used for soundbank wavetables? EWS64 is a VERY complex card with a lot og chipsets on it as well as a lot of things that get done in software.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 23 of 114, by ZipoBibrok

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
appiah4 wrote:
ZipoBibrok wrote:

Are you sure the Dream chipset was used for soundbank wavetables? EWS64 is a VERY complex card with a lot og chipsets on it as well as a lot of things that get done in software.

terratec_audiosystem_ews_64_version_1.0.jpg

Traces from SIMM socket clearly go into SAM9407 chip. There isn't anything else on the card that could function as a synthesizer, and it absolutely isn't a soft synth.

Reply 24 of 114, by dreamblaster

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ZipoBibrok wrote:

ZipoBibrok wrote:

Traces from SIMM socket clearly go into SAM9407 chip. There isn't anything else on the card that could function as a synthesizer, and it absolutely isn't a soft synth.

Yes of course but this is a completely different question : Also the Terratec uses (an older incompatible version of) dream bank structure, not sf2 banks directly.
This was one of the possibilities for a conversion path (I tried with some old Guillemot instrument source files, which are also dream based,
but could not make it work. But if you have the sources of interesting Terratec banks (instruments = .94i and .98i files, banks = .94l files of .98l files), and permission to use these,
I could do another attempt at importing and compiling for X2. (Already compiled banks are specific for a certain chip / flash type / memory organisation and cannot be decompiled.)
Using DLSRead there is a route to convert from DLS to .94u and .94l, so DLS files are also good candidates for the legacy path...

The new dream bank editor + bank compiler may only be used with purchase of the Dream 5000 SDK, and intended for pro sounds developers.
It contains a lot of IP from dream, including encryption features and sample protection. The market is quite different from 25 years ago.
These days, you can think of electric pianos , organs.... using their chips with copyrighted samples, with a license per unit..
so I can understand their position they wish to protect this. The device direct editing features, bank compiler, editor, ... are not available for integration in my own products (I asked few years ago).
The IP is not for sale, and would not be supported by dream. Also for this I can understand their position.
What is allowed (and I implemented), is the upload of binary banks, as X2 supports.

Due to the fact that the sf2 banks are way more common anyway, we mainly focus on being able to convert these. It was not a smooth ride so far..

Visit http://www.serdashop.com for retro sound cards, video converters, ...
DreamBlaster X2, S2, S2P, HDD Clicker, ... many projects !
New X2GS SE & X16GS sound card : https://www.serdashop.com/X2GS-SE ,
Thanks for your support !

Reply 25 of 114, by ZipoBibrok

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It just feels enormously frustrating as those chips clearly have enormous potential, but 90% of it is locked behind NDA:s and other nonsense. Like they don't even want them to sell to their full potential.

Reply 26 of 114, by dreamblaster

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ZipoBibrok wrote:

It just feels enormously frustrating as those chips clearly have enormous potential, but 90% of it is locked behind NDA:s and other nonsense. Like they don't even want them to sell to their full potential.

I bet if I would buy batches of 200k pieces of their chips, instead of a few 100 pcs, it would be worth the R&D effort for them, to open up/support more features for my products . But even if there was good money in this, it still would be under NDA, and it still would not be easy or even feasible at all... I cannot tell more at this moment, but I understand their position.
I appreciate the dream chips and their support team, and want to make the best out of what's available ...
Let's do it. You vogons friends, can help if you like, by testing the new banks, and providing feedback and encouragment for t9999Clint and Hummtaro.
Also thanks to Doppler for his help with GUD/Buran bank in the past, of course !

Reply 27 of 114, by t9999clint

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have a good idea now of what I'm going to try and get the Soundbank to sound like now.
Here is a beta of the AWE64 one I'm working on. It's still too big to fit on a AWE64 but it'll give you a good idea on my plan for what I want my Dreamblaster bank to sound like. I'm mostly in the planning stage right now as I'm still gathering all the samples I want to use for this. It will also be the default preloaded soundfont for the WavePi project. Try it out with DOOM and Decent and get HYPED!

https://downloads.kor.ninja/Music/pro7use/bet … nced-v.0.9b.sf2

My Youtube Channel: https://www.kor.ninja/
My Soundfont Project: K.O.R. Soundfont Project V.5.0
My Soundcloud Page: https://soundcloud.com/clint-theriault

Reply 28 of 114, by Hummtaro

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
t9999clint wrote:

*edit* just noticed now that this is a old thread.... sorry for zombie posting....

No problem at all! This thread was intended to be a central place for talking about unofficial Dreamblaster banks and i will update the main post as soon as new banks are available!
It's very nice to see some conversation here!

ZipoBibrok wrote:

It's frustrating but completely understandable. Those chip manufacturers focus on very large customers who manufacture expensive products for professionals.
Such device manufacturers want thier product internals as secret as possible. They do not like it when everybody can hack around with thier products, edit firmware, port banks over, steal samples etc..
I personally would of course prefer a world in which everyone can modify all devices and software at will..

We are mostly irrelevant for a company like Dream, so we should be grateful that Dream at least gives us the opportunity to build small sound modules and make soundbanks for them.
Most other companies do not even answer such small requests..

I'm currently working on optimizing my conversion path.. So from my side there will also be new stuff soon! 😈

X570|R5 5600X|32G|Rx6800

Reply 29 of 114, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
t9999clint wrote:

*edit* just noticed now that this is a old thread.... sorry for zombie posting....

Dude, someone just tried an 8-year bump. You're fine, this thread started in 2019.

It's not until someone bumps a thread that hasn't seen a new reply in, like, three or more years until we start getting itchy. 😉

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 30 of 114, by Hummtaro

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi People,
now there are two more Soundbanks available for our little Dreamblasters:
GXSCC GM and OPL-3 FM 64M!
Those and all future GM banks by me will have a MT32 mapping!
I hope you'll enjoy. 😀

There's also a updated version of the Roland bank in the works!

What other manufacturer banks are iconic and must-have?
As it takes work and time to create soundbanks.. What ones would you most like to see?
Some candidates are:
Aureal AU30GM
E-MU 1MGM
E-MU 4GMGSMT
Ensoniq EAPCI8M
ESS ESSWT3M
Gravis ULTRASND
Yamaha DLSbyXG

X570|R5 5600X|32G|Rx6800

Reply 31 of 114, by dreamblaster

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Wow that's great news ! 😀
Thanks !

Reply 32 of 114, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

excellent work! thanks for sharing!
I am only familiar with the Gravis ULTRASND bank, it's the default patch set right?
How do the rest sound?

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 34 of 114, by Hummtaro

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
keropi wrote:

excellent work! thanks for sharing!
I am only familiar with the Gravis ULTRASND bank, it's the default patch set right?
How do the rest sound?

My pleasure!
Yes, i'm talking about default patch sets.
E-MU 1MGM for example is the AWE32 default set.

I will at least port E-MU 4GMGSMT because it's very well balanced i think.

X570|R5 5600X|32G|Rx6800

Reply 36 of 114, by Hummtaro

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Marmes wrote:

Xg would be great on these cards!

Even if we port over a Yamaha XG soundbank, the dream synth engine would still understand only GM and GS messages..

X570|R5 5600X|32G|Rx6800

Reply 37 of 114, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The new Dream bank is good for basic MT32 emulation
GUD and Buran banks are very decent GM/GS banks
Unofficial Roland bank mimics Scc1/SC55 fairly well

All I want are coversions for:

Masterpiece
8MB Creative/E-MU
XG (as soundbank only for that sweet Yamaha sound)

And that should cover 99% of needs IMO.

Reply 38 of 114, by Hummtaro

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,
since Dreamblaster has recently released an update for the official Buran bank, think i have to come out with an update too!

So here's the finished version of the Roland GM bank. Now with all variations and drumsets! 😈

appiah4 wrote:
All I want are coversions for: […]
Show full quote

Masterpiece
8MB Creative/E-MU

I think the next main project will be a XG bank!

X570|R5 5600X|32G|Rx6800

Reply 39 of 114, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Hummtaro wrote:
Hello, since Dreamblaster has recently released an update for the official Buran bank, think i have to come out with an update t […]
Show full quote

Hello,
since Dreamblaster has recently released an update for the official Buran bank, think i have to come out with an update too!

So here's the finished version of the Roland GM bank. Now with all variations and drumsets! 😈

appiah4 wrote:
All I want are coversions for: […]
Show full quote

Masterpiece
8MB Creative/E-MU

I think the next main project will be a XG bank!

XG is interesting.

tenor.gif?itemid=5020150

Where's the link to the updated Roland bank?

Damn me I'm so busy at work I didn't even realize Serge updated the Buran bank 🙁