VOGONS

Reply 280 of 929, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

i did not test it yet, but maybe fake86 will work better with hercules emulation ?

https://sourceforge.net/projects/fake86/

at least everything is readable 😀

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board

Reply 281 of 929, by MobyGamer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I had a chance to test v12. So far it works well, some S3M files load more samples because of your space packing techniques. However, since V10 onward, I can't play BANANASP.MOD any more, I get "Sound Blaster time-out" as an error which doesn't make sense. The file is at ftp://ftp.oldskool.org/pub/misc/Audio/testmods/ if you want to take a look.

My guess is that some other error is being thrown, but being misinterpreted as "sound blaster timeout" since it works with other MODs.

Reply 282 of 929, by FreddyV

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks for the test.
I will check why it does lot Like banana anymore 😉
Maintain code from the past is not simple 😉

Bugs in .MOD files often come from commands placed in a not usual way in the patterns and mistake in variable init.

Reply 283 of 929, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Bug report: Your DSP detection overrides the BLASTER variable. I have both the SnarkBarker and the BlasterBoard installed, one on 220h and one on 260h. ModMaster XT always takes the port 220h, which is probably autodetected, and takes all other settings from the BLASTER variable.

YouTube and Bonus
80486DX@33 MHz, 16 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & GUSar Lite, PC MIDI Card+X2+SC55+MT32, OSSC

Reply 284 of 929, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I can confirm MobyGamer's bug report that some MODs don't work anymore. I have similar problems with different MODs. Also, I can't get the BlasterBoard on non standard settings (A260 I7 D3) not to work anymore. Just hangs.
SnarkBarker on defaults (A220 I5 D1) works, but sounds EXTREMELY weird.

https://youtu.be/7iCXpR-ImZM

https://youtu.be/3b_VLGvWj4k

The current version is not usable at all for me. SnarkBarker sound is totally distorted, BlasterBoard doesn't work at all. 🙁

YouTube and Bonus
80486DX@33 MHz, 16 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & GUSar Lite, PC MIDI Card+X2+SC55+MT32, OSSC

Reply 286 of 929, by FreddyV

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Do you have multiple boards at the same time ?
Mod master autodetect the port. It test starting from 220h.
Then it use the blaster environnement or the config file if présent.
This is something i should change. Test the blaster env port first.
Regarding the strange sound quality i can see that the DC mode is not active (Continuous DMA). The not Continuous DMA Mode needs to be corrected..
In the output config menu. DC needs To be checked.
In the env variable it is written T1 that is why it unselect the autoinit mode.
I intendeed To change all this. The T env variable is Useless as we can read the DSP version directly

Reply 287 of 929, by FreddyV

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Then.
Remove the modm.cfg file.
Correct the type to 2 in the env variable.
The board using the port 260 can not be used if another is present at port 220. I will correct this.

This is something I would Like to change. Use only the env variable plus the detected DSP version for the Type. This will even Simply the code...

Reply 288 of 929, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yeah, now it works with the SnarkBarker. Changed BLASTER to T2, removed the modm.cfg, and tried again:

https://youtu.be/ZTI-zgczdZA

Thanks.

YouTube and Bonus

Reply 289 of 929, by FreddyV

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi,

Here is the new version with SB Autodetect corrected. (Beta 13)

I tested with various config under DOSBox and a real Sound Blaster Pro (Amstrad PC1640).

I also tested the BANANASP.MOD file and it is working for me : Strange....

I was on holiday (Like everybody) so I have not done many other changes than this.

FreddyV

Attachments

• Filename
    MODMXT13.zip
    File size
    81.71 KiB
    Downloads
    52 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 290 of 929, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ok, I think the autodetection is fixed. Works both with SnarkBarker and BlasterBoard, even while they are in the machine at the same time. I get the timeouts ONLY with the SnarkBarker. The BlasterBoard doesn't have the problems.

https://youtu.be/zUqDLnY6cb8

YouTube and Bonus

Reply 291 of 929, by FreddyV

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks, the Video help a lot.

So it explains why it works for me, the bug is not there in all the cases.

This version still use the Type variable, I see it as you used T2 and T2 is sound Blaster Pro (My Bad)
Can you try with T3 ?

@MobyGamers, what is the hardware you are using ?

I will review the code to try to check what is going on.

Reply 292 of 929, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Quote from dosfandom wiki:

T1 is an original SoundBlaster, T2 is an SoundBlaster 1.5, T3 is an SoundBlaster 2, T4 is an SB Pro, T5 is an SB Pro with an FM Synthesis chip, and T6 is an SoundBlaster 16 or later.

YouTube and Bonus

Reply 293 of 929, by FreddyV

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi;

Under DOSBOX, SB Pro is T2.

I see no reason for the timeout bug with one module. The First commands are Set Volume.
The SB DSP Code Loop is small, I increased it and I removed the check for SB Timeout in the code. Then, it will no more quit so that you can see if it succeed to play the music.

I also corrected the Vibrato Volume slide (I saw the problem with GSLIDER.MOD), 2 Octave were missing as well in MOD Files. (Due to the changes I did for .XM)

I also finished the SB16 Commands support.
Modules can be played with the Sound Blaster in Signed Mode, I tested with a SB16 (On the 1640 as well), there is something like 10% of improvement (STARDUST.MOD at 31KHz)

I will release this version in some days.

Reply 294 of 929, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yup, it seems the information regarding the variable are conflicting:

SoundBlaster Environment variables question

But the order SB1, PRO1, SB2, ... makes sense. As the Pro1 preceded the 2, IIRC.

YouTube and Bonus

Reply 296 of 929, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
MobyGamer wrote on 2020-01-08, 05:21:
FreddyV wrote on 2020-01-04, 21:39:

I also tested the BANANASP.MOD file and it is working for me : Strange....

On real hardware? I was testing on real hardware.

I think it's dependent on the sound card. With the BlasterBoard I had no issues. With the SnarkBarker I got the same errors as you.

YouTube and Bonus

Reply 297 of 929, by MobyGamer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
root42 wrote on 2020-01-08, 08:37:

I think it's dependent on the sound card. With the BlasterBoard I had no issues. With the SnarkBarker I got the same errors as you.

I was testing on a real Sound Blaster 2.0, so it was odd the autodetect wasn't working. In any case, I'll set up my hardware again and give v13 a try.

Reply 298 of 929, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Fun fact: Guitar Slinger produces copyright strikes on YouTube. I love it when this happens. That's also why I have my second channel. If that one goes down, I do not care that much. But I also find it kind of unfair and hypocritical of musicians to distribute their works freely 20-30 years ago, without any kind of licensing agreement, and then decades later start coming after people. I understand this is probably not intended like that, and that Jogeir probably distributes his old songs on CD/iTunes/..., but still... Also I understand that this is just how copyright works. You create something and BAM you've got the copyright. But it feels weird and unfair.

Bildschirmfoto 2020-01-08 um 22.27.58.png
Filename
Bildschirmfoto 2020-01-08 um 22.27.58.png
File size
130.94 KiB
Views
File license

YouTube and Bonus

Reply 299 of 929, by FreddyV

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi,

Here is the Beta 14, I removed the code that stop the replay in case of SB Timeout, to see if it is working without it.

8/01/2020 Beta 14
- Sound Blaster detection code improved a little
- Sound Blaster 16 command added. (Increased replay frequency precision)
- Sound Blaster 16 Adds 8 Bit Mono signed (8% Faster in 4 Channels) and Stereo > 22KHz (Not more than 32KHz)
- Detected Sound Blaster card name written during the replay.
- .MOD : Octave 6 and 7 were misssing (Bug added after period precision increase) (DOPE.MOD Bugged)
- I Added SBSET.EXE, The Software I wrote to configure the SB16 CT2230 on XT Computer.

As SB16 is added, I can try 16 Bit mixing. It can be Great for 286.
On XT, I believe that 8Bit with higher frequency will still be better.

I Now need to build a 286 😀 (I have some parts, MotherBoards and so on but no full 286 yet)

Attachments

• Filename
    MODMXT14.zip
    File size
    87.39 KiB
    Downloads
    59 downloads
    File license