VOGONS

Reply 20 of 27, by t9999clint

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Found a bunch more errors from the resample process. Doing it again from scratch. I think I fixed everything but now somehow the soundfont is 34mb... I'm gonna have to downgrade the quality on something in order to get it to fit. At least it works great on the WavePi. I'm gonna keep at this weekend and hopefully I can get something that works on the awe64 again.

My Youtube Channel: https://www.kor.ninja/
My Soundfont Project: K.O.R. Soundfont Project V.5.0
My Soundcloud Page: https://soundcloud.com/clint-theriault

Reply 21 of 27, by Maxx1234

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Excellent effort!

Waiting to build my simmconn to test it on my AWE64 Value...

Questions/kind requests/suggestions:

1.My favorite soundfont is AnotherGS v2.3. PRO7USE Enhanced Soundfont is pretty similar. Any chance to either
a) Make certain modifications to PRO7USE in order to increase the similarity with AnotherGS v2.3, while within size limits (28MB)?
or
b) Process the original AnotherGS v2.3 in order to reduce size to 28MB?

2.Make an sbk version of either PRO7USE or AnotherGS v2.3 (or both)?

Thank you in advance!

Reply 22 of 27, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Just wanted to give some feedback: For around 28MB it is in many ways a higher fidelity soundfont than my benchmark for this size, Masterpiece. In many ways it sounds incredibly similar to Musyng Kite, and that is a 1GB SF2 - so congratulations. However, I need to report something that I think is a deal breaker. Picked Bass is.. It just sounds wrong in a lot of tunes to me. The tuning sounds off, the instrument's volume level is off, it just sounds weird in a lot of tunes I threw at it. Take DOOM II - Entryway (MAP 01) track for example, give it a listen. Tell me I'm imagining things if I'm wrong.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 24 of 27, by Azarien

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've tested the soundfont on some midi files (I have SB Audigy) and must say that I'm impressed. Many of them sound really nice.
Some sound a bit unbalanced though, the percussion being just a bit too loud.
The worst however are

HIDNSEEK.MID (from GUS driver pack) - the main melody instrument (don't know what it is, some kind of synth) is almost inaudible.
ELITET.MID (intro music from Frontier) - at the very beginning, some kind of marimba-like instrument (which sounds more like a trumpet on a MT32 but that's irrelevant here), again almost silent.

Maybe those two are the same instrument, haven't checked.

Reply 25 of 27, by t9999clint

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Azarien wrote on 2022-01-12, 22:50:
I've tested the soundfont on some midi files (I have SB Audigy) and must say that I'm impressed. Many of them sound really nice. […]
Show full quote

I've tested the soundfont on some midi files (I have SB Audigy) and must say that I'm impressed. Many of them sound really nice.
Some sound a bit unbalanced though, the percussion being just a bit too loud.
The worst however are

HIDNSEEK.MID (from GUS driver pack) - the main melody instrument (don't know what it is, some kind of synth) is almost inaudible.
ELITET.MID (intro music from Frontier) - at the very beginning, some kind of marimba-like instrument (which sounds more like a trumpet on a MT32 but that's irrelevant here), again almost silent.

Maybe those two are the same instrument, haven't checked.

I don't really work on soundfonts anymore (I lost most of my hearing) but I can still take a look at this instrument and apply a fix for it.
can you send me those .mid files?

My Youtube Channel: https://www.kor.ninja/
My Soundfont Project: K.O.R. Soundfont Project V.5.0
My Soundcloud Page: https://soundcloud.com/clint-theriault

Reply 26 of 27, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
kolderman wrote on 2022-01-12, 20:43:

This idea that large soundsfonts must sound better is an idea that needs to die.

No it doesn't. Please refer me to a single SF2 that sounds better than Musyng Kite.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 27 of 27, by kolderman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
appiah4 wrote on 2022-01-13, 05:40:
kolderman wrote on 2022-01-12, 20:43:

This idea that large soundsfonts must sound better is an idea that needs to die.

No it doesn't. Please refer me to a single SF2 that sounds better than Musyng Kite.

I said *must* sound better. Of course a large soundfont could sound good...but probably not because it's large but the instrument choice and balance. The VoiceCrystal 4MB SF2 sounds about as good as anything I have ever heard.