VOGONS

Reply 40 of 151, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

@tex elec
Shameless copy here from the plaid-bib thread:
Interesting, however it is somewhat unclear to me from the description if it works in a faster MCA machine like a Model 80 and if the lockup issue in combination with memory expansion cards is resolved.
The description does not mention any of these points that came up here in the thread.

I did contacted you regarding these information on your page, but maybe you can also give some answer here.
This would prevent people with a IBM Model 70 or 80 to find the card not working after purchase (unless these issues were adressed of course).

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 41 of 151, by TexElec

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Probably not the best thread to discuss this, but in a nutshell, I'm not sure. I spoke with TubeTime before building this card about 3 months back, and he indicated that he moved to his own FPGA design because he was unable to source reliable P82C611's. However, I have found a reliable supplier for them, and have used 30 in a row from these guys with 100% success so far. He also never mentioned the timing issues to me, so I suspect the timing problems may be with the FPGA implementation. I'm certain getting the timing correct would be tricky.

The Chips P82C611 is a microchannel non-DMA controller which does the decoding of the MCA bus to essentially light up ISA-like signals you can use for your HW. You perform address decoding, in a traditional fashion but all timing signals are generated from this IC. I have several third party cards which use this IC or the DMA version of the P82C612 and I would imagine this would be a pretty widely known issue.

Check page 4 of the P82C611 datasheet, and you'll see how the MCA bus is decoded, http://ps-2.kev009.com/ohlandl/Unsorted_Files … C611-82C612.pdf

If your card is using MME, 32-bit or uses DMA it is up to the device to maintain bus timing. I did not read too much further into it as I don't really plan anything greater than a 16 bit card for the PS/2 at this point. However, it's clear if you read into microchannel a bit, it is almost not compatible with itself at times. 😀

Suffice it to say too, I'm in the market for a 32-bit memory card and I will test this asap. For now, it works great in a 32-bit slot in a Model 70, and in a Model 50Z too. Those are my only two functional machines. I have a model 90, but I think the processor board is dead, but I plan to resurrect it asap as well.

Thanks!
-Kevin

Reply 42 of 151, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

In the document you linked for the 82C611/12 on page 12, section 1.4 is stated that the chip does not support matched memory cycles.
So it most likely will also have issues in a Model 70 or 80 in a combination with a memory expansion card that utilizes MMC.

Still, an actual test brings clarity. I can provide you with the test program I wrote for TubeTime, that shows fails quickly due to MMC, if you like.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 43 of 151, by TexElec

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'd be glad to have it. I need to pick up a memory board, but it will be useful for testing. I just wonder if this section states that there is no support just as there is no support for any 32-bit operation. The pins aren't even exposed to the 16-bit interface, so that's why I believe the onus is on the 32-bit cards to do the right thing and signal the bus accordingly. In turn this sets the M/IO /S0 & /S1 bits correctly. Much like AEN on the ISA bus.

Anyway, that's my theory at least. 😀 I'd love to actually test it out.

Reply 45 of 151, by TexElec

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just a quick update. I bought a 32-bit memory card and tested in my Model 70, and it's working great! I also tested the app Elianda adapted, and I get all "*"'s on the test(which is a good thing), and the card is still responsive after it runs. Elianda is running the FPGA version of the PlaidBid as well, which is where the timing issue appears to lie. My design is based on the P82C611 dedicated MCA bus IC, and is meeting the timing as it should. We have shipped just over 30 of the cards now, and I've already received a report that it's working in a Model 95 with a P66 & 16mb of RAM. I think that's pretty close to the top for MCA machines, so I'm now quite confident it's working most anywhere. I have a Model 90 and I ordered a different CPU card for it, so I should be able to test it soon.

Also note, any OPL3 sound card may appear goofy if an OPL3-based app is run, and then you immediately run something which thinks the chip is an Adlib. Sometimes, OPL3 specific modes are set, and the Adlib app is unable to change them. Powering off and back on, or hitting reset will put the chip back in default OPL2 mode and it will then behave correctly.

Thanks!
-Kevin

Reply 47 of 151, by hard1k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

New device for the list:
New Waveblaster card : Reptile Paradise - Yucatan FX (replica of Turtle Beach Cancun FX)

Fortex, the A3D & XG/OPL3 accelerator (Vortex 2 + YMF744 combo sound card)
AWE64 Legacy
Please have a look at my wishlist (hosted on Amibay)

Reply 51 of 151, by digger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The CVX4 is compatible with the Covox Speech Thing only, not the Disney Sound Source. You might want to correct that.

Someone here on the forum actually developed a reproduction/clone of the DSS, which deserves to be on your list as well.

Let me look it up...

Reply 52 of 151, by digger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah, several DSS designs are shared and discussed in these topics:

Reversing the Disney Sound Source

Disney Sound Source replica (well, almost)

If I understood these discussions and the shared designs correctly, shock__ has been working on a combined switchable Covox/DSS device, while matze79 developed a working intermediate adapter that turns any dumb Covox-like LPT DAC (such as the CVX4) into a Disney Sound Source.

Benedikt seems to be working on an actual DSS replica.

They all deserve a mention in your list, I think.

Reply 53 of 151, by LightStruk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Updated the CVX4 description and added Bendikt's DSS replica. @digger, do you have a clear sense of where @shock__'s DSS / CVX project stands? I'm not even sure what to link, what to call it, and whether one can buy or build it.

Reply 54 of 151, by digger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

No idea. I saw him share his progress in that topic and I felt it was worth sharing here. Actually, matze79's design for an adapter that goes between a computer's parallel port and a Covox Speech Thing, adding Disney Sound Source compatibility, seems further along. That device is discussed and showcased in the same topic, and already seems functional.

Reply 55 of 151, by digger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Also, I believe the OPL2LPT and OPL3LPT devices deserve at least an honorable mention. They may not be reproductions of actual devices in the strictest sense of the word, but then again, neither are some other cards on the list, such as the Orpheus and the AWE64, since those are sound cards with added features that make them unique in themselves as well.

Reply 56 of 151, by Cyberdyne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Then we have to add Tndy2LPT also... but a nice list. Really gives you an overview of all the modern retro sound card options.

I am aroused about any X86 motherboard that has full functional ISA slot. I think i have problem. Not really into that original (Turbo) XT,286,386 and CGA/EGA stuff. So just a DOS nut.

Reply 57 of 151, by LightStruk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Now that TubeTime has declared the Snark Barker MCA to be finished, I've updated its entry to point to the project's GitHub page. At this time, no cards are available to purchase; if you're interested, you need to order the PCB and all of the parts and then populate the card yourself.

Reply 58 of 151, by gordon-creAtive.com

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I guess this one qualifies as well: https://chipkin.ru/product/sobrannaya-plata-gusar-lite/
Some context: Re: Newly made Gravis Ultrasound compatible cards ... what's the degree of interest?

Reply 59 of 151, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Why are not existing cards on the list ?

BitchIn Audio for example.
Maybe it would be cool to mark them unfinished.
Also non working dss clone is on the list, there is no firmware so it is no clone 😉

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board