VOGONS

AWE64 Legacy

Topic actions

Reply 700 of 782, by hard1k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hello everyone, just wanted to let you know that we still have 2 boxed cards left. First come, first served!

Fortex, the A3D & XG/OPL3 accelerator (Vortex 2 + YMF744 combo sound card)
AWE64 Legacy
Please have a look at my wishlist (hosted on Amibay)

Reply 702 of 782, by georgel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Ascended wrote on 2022-09-06, 05:22:

can I reserve a card for my brother if still available

It is highly probable they will be available for long time to come but if not there are plenty of ISA AWE64's on ebay and other stores that cost some 10 times cheaper and do nearly the same job and are based on the same chip.

Reply 703 of 782, by hard1k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Both boxed cards have been sold.
Bare PCBs with metal brackets are still available.

AWE64 Legacy

Reply 704 of 782, by hard1k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Update: 5 bare PCBs with metal brackets are available.

Edit: 3 PCBs left.

AWE64 Legacy

Reply 705 of 782, by Bendejo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
hard1k wrote on 2022-09-07, 13:41:

Update: 5 bare PCBs with metal brackets are available.

Edit: 3 PCBs left.

Anyone that is assembling the bare board got any pointers? I just got a few questions,

Can i use these for the simms?
NN5117405BJ-60
https://www.jotrin.com/product/parts/NN5117405BJ_60

As for the chips that need programming? which programmers you used? And if programmers are too expensive, would i be better off sending the chips to someone that can provide the service instead? Also what specifically gets programmed to the specific chips.

The rest seemed pretty straight forward, but i am open to any tips or pointers that would help out.

Reply 707 of 782, by mattrock1988

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'll be honest, I was willing to buy, but with the recent events in Russia and Ukraine, it makes me nervous to purchase an item that could be caught up in some kind of trade blockade. It is a beautiful card, but I'll definitely keep my eyes peeled for a second batch and think about it then.

Retro PC: Intel Pentium III @ 1 GHz, Intel SE440BX-2, 32 GB IDE DOM, 384 MB SDRAM, DVD-ROM, 1.44 MB floppy, Nvidia GeForce 4 Ti 4600 AGP, Creative SoundBlaster AWE64 Gold, Aureal Vortex 2
I only rely on 86box these days. My Pentium 3 PC died. 🙁

Reply 708 of 782, by Bendejo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
mattrock1988 wrote on 2022-10-01, 02:41:

I'll be honest, I was willing to buy, but with the recent events in Russia and Ukraine, it makes me nervous to purchase an item that could be caught up in some kind of trade blockade. It is a beautiful card, but I'll definitely keep my eyes peeled for a second batch and think about it then.

I ordered 2 bare PCBs and just got them today. They were actually here earlier chillen at the post office. But I think they are able to get them to people regardless of circumstances. Tho they are probably out of PCBs by now so it wouldn't matter anyways.

It's a really nice looking board i must say. I ordered one of those fancy microscopes to help me out with this job seeing as it has a lot of small components. Still gonna have to wait a it before i get everything together and assemble these bad boys. I will keep updated.

Reply 710 of 782, by hard1k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi guys! We don't have any boxed assembled cards anymore, and there are only a very few bare PCBs left. We'll consider a second batch once the current turmoil is over.

AWE64 Legacy

Reply 711 of 782, by Stevogamer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
hard1k wrote on 2022-10-01, 10:44:

Hi guys! We don't have any boxed assembled cards anymore, and there are only a very few bare PCBs left. We'll consider a second batch once the current turmoil is over.

Great to hear there is still a possibility in the future for a second batch!

I'd also be interested if that happens.

Reply 712 of 782, by doogie

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

FWIW, I received my assembled card without much drama, about a month ago, into the USA. This awful situation continues to evolve of course, but I thought it might be comforting to know that business can still be conducted. Let us hope for a swift and peaceful end to this madness.

Reply 713 of 782, by Dr.Yak

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

We don't have any boxed assembled cards anymore,

Damn, had an extremely intense past couple of months at work and by the time I can finally connect back to the forum: Bam, all cards gone.
Well, too bad...

We'll consider a second batch once the current turmoil is over.

...Oh, yeah! Keep us informed when that second batch comes to happen.

Reply 714 of 782, by ptrz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi guys!
I bought a PCB and soldered it myself. The payment came quickly (inside Russia). I have been waiting for components for a long time, because many chips had to be ordered on Aliexpress. And in another store, the delivery time was 6-8 weeks.
I have consulted with the board developer several times. Thanks to him for the answers.
ECAP C50, C51 should be 22uF x 50V. C40-C49 should be 4.7uF x 50V (note for PCB rev. 1.2.1) The developer has probably already fixed this in BOM.
I also spent a long time picking up analogs of a quartz oscillator and a quartz resonator due to my lack of experience.
I also badly soldered memory chips with "J" pins with hot air. I had to remove them and solder them with a soldering iron with a "J" soldering sting. After that, the memory card passed the memory test.
I didn't find a programming adapter for Atmega and programmed it through the DBG connector on the PCB.
I haven't tested the Hard-MPU because I don't have a Roland MT-32. The rest of the board functions work!
Thanks to the developers for a good project!

Attachments

• 20221019_235055.jpg
    Filename
    20221019_235055.jpg
    File size
    204.46 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    AWE64 Legacy bottom
    File license
    Public domain
  • 20221019_235033.jpg
    Filename
    20221019_235033.jpg
    File size
    266.31 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    AWE64 Legacy top
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 715 of 782, by Scythifuge

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My 486 build is nearly finished (tweaking startup files for memory and testing out a couple of NICs and need to install an exhaust fan before I declare the PC chassis closed "for good" because this PVC gets surprisingly warm) with an AWE32 CT2760 and an MPU-IPC-T with both an MT-32 and an SC-55 connected, all built onto a Tomato 4DPS board which I bought from a really cool dude from Russia (we chatted a bit using Google translate and discovered similar childhoods, and I hope to share beers with him, someday.) However, this AWE64 legacy card is everything I could want in a perfect MS-DOS card. I truly hope for a second batch, and I will put up the funds so that if it is available again, I can get one even if costs go up. I had originally thought that I fried my CT2760 when I list my original 4DPS, so until a second batch materializes, I can remain old-school with what I have. I wonder if the AWE64 Legacy will end up as an option for 86box builds. Also, this project gives me hope for other potential projects, such as "perfect" graphics cards, or a Gotek for cd-roms and what not (or a 10/100 NIC compatible with MS-DOS and WFW 3.11 with low memory drivers, since that is my current struggle, hehehe...) It has been nice to read posts from those who managed to get one and seeing how happy they are. I am truly happy for anyone and everyone who got a card, and I am glad to read that it is an awesome sound card. I appreciate all who keep retro computing alive.

Reply 716 of 782, by erek

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
hard1k wrote on 2019-08-11, 21:06:
Flyer front.png Flyer back.png […]
Show full quote

Flyer front.png
Flyer back.png

Hello everyone,

So I'm delighted to present you another sound card project: AWE64 Legacy
Please check the latest major update before posting.

Older pictures with the first prototype:
1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg

Project team: Alex_NsD, CoolTweak, H_Rush, hard1k
Logo: mrDraud

Our project is inspired by this one made by anthony, but has gone a little further.
So, to sum up, it's a newly designed sound card built up from scratch, based on the original chipset of the 2nd gen Creative SB AWE64 Value (CT4520): Creative CT8920-NBQ chip and Creative CT1972-UAS/EMU8011-01 WaveROM.

New and reworked features include:
1. The onboard 28 MB of RAM - basically, it is an integrated SIMMConn Value (credits: Xu Wang aka SIMMConn) with an integrated 32Mb SIMM72.
2. True Yamaha OPL3 chipset (YMF262+YAC512) - the schematics were borrowed from the Resound OPL3 card (credits: TexElec). OPL3 is hardwired to 0x388h, so if order for it to function along with the integrated CQM, the latter must be moved to some other port (0x398h, for example) using the original drivers or the UNISOUND tool by JazeFox.
3. Intelligent MPU-401 onboard - it is an integrated HardMPU (credits: ab0tj).
4. Waveblaster header.
5. Routable MIDI Outputs between both CT8920 / HardMPU parts and the Waveblaster header / MIDI pins of the gameport.
6. Redesigned analog part.
7. Onboard S/PDIF RCA output.
8. AWE64 Gold-styled 2xRCA analog output.
9. AC97 Front panel header.
10. The board complies with ISA Half-Size measures: 185 х 120 mm.
11. PCB has 6 layers with separate Analog and Digital planes. Power supply has its own layer.

FIRST MAJOR UPDATE (19/08/19)

SECOND MAJOR UPDATE (15/09/19)

QUESTIONNAIRE ON ADDITIONAL FEATURES - CLOSED ON SEP 15

THIRD MAJOR UPDATE

START OF SALES

AWE64 Legacy: A Premium New ISA Sound Card in 2022:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cA-ZAbHQS44

Reply 717 of 782, by ExplodingLemur

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm interested in a bare PCB if there are any still available.
(I'd have DMed but I'm too much of a lurker to have enough rep or karma or whatever to do it 😀 )

Last edited by ExplodingLemur on 2022-11-03, 04:21. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 719 of 782, by doogie

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Interestingly I am having similar trouble with the HardMPU functionality on this card to what LGR describes in his video - I am sure I am missing a config step (DIP switch or software). In UART mode there’s lots of “missed” notes or hanging notes and everything sounds wrong. Intelligent mode does not work at all. Have any of you gotten this to work? If so, were there specific steps?