VOGONS

AWE64 Legacy

Topic actions

Reply 263 of 779, by Scythifuge

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thank the gods in Asgard for this project and that I found the thread and thus have a chance to buy one of these when it is released. My AWE32 CT2760 died (system detects it, but it hangs on IRQ detection/testing,) and I bought a CT3990 as I got it cheap, but I hate it, and suspect it lacks the OPL chip. For many reasons I want to build an all-encompassing PC to play games from 1980-2000 or so, and I need a mobo that has ISA. This card looks like it will solve so many problems I am having. I won't need to use my MPU-IPC-T anymore and thus will need only one ISA slot. I was going to buy an AWE64 Gold, but I will buy this instead.

I read through the thread and saw that some didn't care for the OPL3 chip. I just discovered an issue with Solar Winds that after searching the net, other people with AWE64s have had to deal with. The game requires a Sound Blaster. What I think it requires is an OPL chip. On my 3990 (no OPL) the game locks up when sound effects like shooting occur. I tested the game with the AWE32 in 86box (uses a dump of an AWE32) and the game plays fine, and it played fine on my old 2760, so it is an example of the OPL chip's necessity, and of course it sounds better and is great for nostalgia.

I NEED this card for my situation (body hurts and getting older have me no longer wanting to tinker, juggle multiple PCs and hunting down increasingly rare parts.) This card, along with other conveniences like CF-to-IDE and what not, will allow people to build a definitive and modern retro box.

Thank you, you and your team, hard1k, for this project. I will buy one when you have them available for purchase. The card seems to be a godsend.

Reply 265 of 779, by Scythifuge

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TechieDude wrote on 2020-04-10, 13:05:

@Scythifuge You're correct about the CT3990 not having an OPL3. I'm not sure if this will actually work in your case, though I'm not familiar with the game.

If the AWE64 Legacy has the OPL3 chip and games can access it as intended, I think it may work. Solar Winds produces the sounds prior to locking up on non-OPL cards, but there is some issue with Creative Lab's emulation of the chip that the game doesn't like. I think that if the game can access the OPL3 chip, then the lock up won't occur.

At any rate, I'll use emulation for affected games and avoid spending anymore money on AWE cards and wait until I can purchase the new AWE64 card. I am excited about it.

Reply 266 of 779, by sunaiac

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Also interested in one.

R9 3900X/X470 Taichi/32GB 3600CL15/5700XT AE/Marantz PM7005
i7 980X/R9 290X/X-Fi titanium | FX-57/X1950XTX/Audigy 2ZS
Athlon 1000T Slot A/GeForce 3/AWE64G | K5 PR 200/ET6000/AWE32
Ppro 200 1M/Voodoo 3 2000/AWE 32 | iDX4 100/S3 864 VLB/SB16

Reply 267 of 779, by hard1k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hello guys,

I beg your pardon for this unexpected delay with the project, we really hoped to have the cards shipped out by the end of Q1 at most, but life has made its changes.
So, we're still going on through the testing process and are very close to the end. Now the time has come for some independent tester to come in, as we really want this product to be bullet-proof.
As this thread is the only official resource for the project, we're announcing this here - WE'RE LOOKING FOR A TESTER 😀
It won't be a "first poster = winner" contest, but another one. Let's say, we'll be accepting applications till next Saturday, April 25, till 21:23 UTC.
3 rules:
1. Those who have the highest post count will have priority.
2. Those who are native Russian speakers will have double priority (i.e. a Russian guy with 1000 posts will have the same priority as a non-Russian guy with 2000 posts). Nothing personal, just business - we're a team of 4 people chatting in Russian in Telegram, so it would greatly help if the new tester could understand everything and contribute without need for translation.
3. Those who guess the reason behind the deadline will get a 1000 post count boost.

So, let the games begin!

Fortex, the A3D & XG/OPL3 accelerator (Vortex 2 + YMF744 combo sound card)
AWE64 Legacy
Please have a look at my wishlist (hosted on Amibay)

Reply 268 of 779, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I am not volunteering to Beta test because I know there is a Russian guy with more posts than me who knows the significance of the deadline. I just want to say huzzah, please keep me on the quick list to buy though...

however if no one else volunteers (fat Chance) you can tap me. I've got an IBM AT, a 90Mhz Pentium, and very shortly an Amiga 2500 with a 286 bridgeboard to test with. I'm also a professional SQE, I work primarily with software but I use to do some hardware testing when I worked for Leapfrog as well...heh

Last edited by Shagittarius on 2020-04-22, 00:23. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 271 of 779, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

IF I actually had time I would like to do a beta test. As it is though I am not sure if I would actually have time to do any kind of extensive testing. Definitely looking forward to the final product though.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 274 of 779, by Scythifuge

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't speak Russian so I won't volunteer, and I only recently discovered this project, so I don't have many posts (I have been a member of Vogons for years, but only recently surpassed 100 posts.) I am guessing that the delay has something to do with adding/improving a feature, and/or adding a desired feature that was previously thought to not be possible. If I could speak Russian, I have a Pentium 133 and a Pentium II 350 I can test ISA cards with, and because of my motorcycle accident, I have a lot of time on my hands. With that said, I crave one of these cards. I think about it everyday and look forward to the release. It would be the perfect card for retro gaming.

Reply 275 of 779, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Non-Russian here, but I'll put my hand up!

As for "why the chosen deadline", uh, a sequence of odd numbers? 21:23 on the 25th?

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 276 of 779, by God Of Gaming

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I would also want to buy one if I can, hopefully you can produce enough units for everyone interested as I'd hate to miss out on this like I have on previous community projects

1999 Dream PC project | DirectX 8 PC project | 2003 Dream PC project

Reply 277 of 779, by hard1k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SquallStrife wrote on 2020-04-22, 05:48:

As for "why the chosen deadline", uh, a sequence of odd numbers? 21:23 on the 25th?

Keep trying 😀

Fortex, the A3D & XG/OPL3 accelerator (Vortex 2 + YMF744 combo sound card)
AWE64 Legacy
Please have a look at my wishlist (hosted on Amibay)