VOGONS

Reply 40 of 42, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
DataPro wrote:

Innocent until caught is listed but I can't make it work with SB AWE64 and roland MT-32... neither SB AWE64 nor MT-32 alone
I use CT-VOICE.DRV 06 OCT 1993 17.9 KB (18,386 bytes) Version 3.07.03

Depending on the Sound Blaster you use, you need to use a specific CT-VOICE driver with it.
Innocent Until Caught requires an intelligent mode MPU-401 MIDI interface (so, you have to use SoftMPU) and as mentioned above, use IRQ 2/9 and MPU port 330h.

It is a tricky game to get working with SFX, particularly due to the correct CT-VOICE driver.

Reply 41 of 42, by Namrok

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Don't mean to necro, but this seems the best place for it.

I'm going through krcroft's list of games from the 1st page, not that I own many of them, and while I've had some luck, some just freeze. Notably Might & Magic III and Populous. Meanwhile Civilization, Bard's Tale 3 and X-Wing were great. Also just playing midi files with DOSMID works great too. Specifically forcing it to play to MPU=330.

Now the freezing seems to be answered by aweutil.txt

PROBLEM -- System hangs when you play games under MIDI Emulation.

CAUSE -- 1. AWEUTIL cannot co-exist with games that use DOS extender.
2. Some games require a MPU-401 'Smart' mode that is
different from the UART mode used by your audio card.
So, you have to use AWE's music synthesis capabilities
instead.

SOLUTION - 1. Type AWEUTIL /S and press <Enter> to set your audio card
to Adlib compatibility.
2. Change your game's software setting to "Adlib or Sound
Blaster compatible".

So I'm assuming Populous and Might & Magic III try to use the 'Smart' mode. Or at least I would, had they not already been claimed to be working here? Also, these are the GOG versions that I've just copied over to my Super7 rig.

I have tried more or less all the aweutil /em options (em:gm, em:gs, em:mt32). I've also tried aweutil 1.20, 1.35 and 1.36, just to really drive it home. I've tried initializing the card with UNISOUND, as well as CTCM. Nothing really changes, although I haven't made exhaustive notes. The games that work still work. The games that freeze still freeze.

Can anyone else verify that Populous or Might & Magic III work on an AWE64 Value (CT4500) emulating midi with aweutil /em?

Win95/DOS 7.1 - P233 MMX (@2.5 x 100 FSB), Diamond Viper V330 AGP, SB16 CT2800
Win98 - K6-2+ 500, GF2 MX, SB AWE 64 CT4500, SBLive CT4780
Win98 - Pentium III 1000, GF2 GTS, SBLive CT4760
WinXP - Athlon 64 3200+, GF 7800 GS, Audigy 2 ZS

Reply 42 of 42, by Riikcakirds

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have been going through this list and am surprised how good the Awe MT32 emulation sounds. I was expecting much worse. I prefer it to Sblive/Audigy emulation using Sbeinit and SBEmixer.exe tick box to support MT32

Only two games I can't get working on the list. First is Chip's Challenge, it errors out with I/O CHANNEL CHECK message after the MT32 music starts. Has anyone managed to get this working using Aweutil /EM:MT32 .
Second is Elvira, game runs but it just doesn't play any sound after selecting MT32 in setup.