VOGONS

First post, by C0deHunter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi all,
I just saw a listing for ROLAND UM1-G USB-Midi interface, is this going to work with MUNT (on my Win7 laptop), and my real retro PC?

I already have a ROLAND UM-ONE mk2, and I am very happy with it, but if the UM1-G is the original and good, then I want it!

Your thoughts are really appreciated!

PIII-800E | Abit BH-6 | GeForce FX 5200 | 64MB SD-RAM PC100 | AWE64 Gold | Sound Canvas 55 MKII | SoftMPU | 16GBGB Transcend CF as C:\ and 64GB Transcend CF D:\ (Games) | OS: MS-DOS 7.1-Win98SE-WinME-Win2K Pro (multi-OS menu Using System Commander 2K)

Reply 1 of 10, by voodoo5_6k

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
C0deHunter wrote:

[...]but if the UM1-G is the original and good, then I want it!

Well, it is "an" original Roland, but there are older devices. I use a UM-1 (without any letters behind the 1) on a system running Win98SE. It connects this system to my MIDI modules (i.e. Win98SE uses the USB side of the device). According to Roland, UM-1, UM-1S, UM-1X, UM-1SX and UM-1EX all share the same driver and thus all predate the UM-1G, which uses a different driver (without Win9x support).

That being said, if you can achieve the results you want by using the UM-ONE Mk.2, there is little reason to get the UM-1G. As you seem to be using emulation instead of authentic MIDI devices, "period correctness" is also out of the equation (not that I care about that, especially not about the almost dogmatic approach to that some people articulate here... whatever can be used to experience retro computing, be it old or modern parts, is fine in my books). Concluding, your UM-1G budget could be used in other places instead 😉

END OF LINE.

Reply 2 of 10, by C0deHunter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks!

PIII-800E | Abit BH-6 | GeForce FX 5200 | 64MB SD-RAM PC100 | AWE64 Gold | Sound Canvas 55 MKII | SoftMPU | 16GBGB Transcend CF as C:\ and 64GB Transcend CF D:\ (Games) | OS: MS-DOS 7.1-Win98SE-WinME-Win2K Pro (multi-OS menu Using System Commander 2K)

Reply 3 of 10, by kolderman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I happen to have the mk2, and a much older one (all grey box). Both work sweet, but I use the mk2 as an output from my win10 machine running virtualbox, and the older one as an input to a win7 machine running munt plus other midi emulators. If you need a second one for your setup, get it. The older one might have an easier time running on old OSs like XP if you ever needed that.

Reply 4 of 10, by C0deHunter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, it is brand new (old stock) in box, he also has a brand new spare Roland DUAL MIDI CABLE 5’, asking for $50.

I am not sure what the G designation is for, but judging from the pictures, it says XP/Vista compatible.

Reply 6 of 10, by voodoo5_6k

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
kolderman wrote:

The older one might have an easier time running on old OSs like XP if you ever needed that.

C0deHunter wrote:

it says XP/Vista compatible

The UM-ONE Mk.2 is also XP compatible. I'm using one of these on a WinXP system. A brand new UM-ONE Mk. 2 goes for less than €40,- on Amazon, I just checked it... Why get an old UM-1G for $50? You could definitely use that budget elsewhere. If you need old OS support (like Win9x), than you have to look for the versions I mentioned earlier, the UM-1G is not compatible.

END OF LINE.

Reply 7 of 10, by C0deHunter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks!

Reply 8 of 10, by Silanda

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just a slight word of caution about the UM-1G, but not about its functionality. I have a UM-2G and it has a rubberised coating. Over the years that coating has degraded to goo and the thing is now a sticky mess, although it still works fine. If the UM-1G has the same coating, the same thing will happen (or may already have happened).

NoS is not immune to these loathsome coatings deteriorating.

Reply 9 of 10, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Silanda wrote:

Just a slight word of caution about the UM-1G, but not about its functionality. I have a UM-2G and it has a rubberised coating. Over the years that coating has degraded to goo and the thing is now a sticky mess, although it still works fine. If the UM-1G has the same coating, the same thing will happen (or may already have happened).

NoS is not immune to these loathsome coatings deteriorating.

You can use either a citrus based furniture polish (very slow) or lemon essential oil to remove that dumb rubberized coating. You do have to do some scrubbing, but it is a whole lot better to remove it than to have gross sticky stuff.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK