VOGONS

First post, by MXDash

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Simple Question: Where can I find alternatives to the default Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth? I'm tired of it and I would like to use something else on my Windows 98 machine. I know it seems very simple but I spent an hour trying to search for such a thing. And I'm not talking about .SF2
Thanks.

PS. I know they exist, I used to have a bunch back in 2001.

Reply 1 of 6, by Kamerat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It should be located at "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\GM.DLS" if installed. Not sure if it installs when you're not using WDM sound drivers.

There's not many other .DLS files around, I got a couple: Fury.dls and gs_instruments.dls.

DOS Sound Blaster compatibility: PCI sound cards vs. PCI chipsets
YouTube channel

Reply 2 of 6, by MXDash

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks Kamerat but not what I'm looking for. Let me rephrase this question:
Is there a place where I can download a different...um..."sound font" (if you will) to replace the default Microsoft GS Wavetable "sound font" in Windows 98? In other words can I have my windows 98 games that use MIDI for music use different sounding instruments? On modern systems we have .SF2 but, as far as I know, there is nothing that uses the .SF2 format that runs in windows 98

Reply 3 of 6, by Rawit

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've got these:

- DLSbyXG.dls
- AWE ROM General Midi.dls

First one came with a mainboard with integrated Yamaha soundchip AFAIK, second one is a conversion somebody did of the AWE ROM to DLS. There are DLS 1.0 and DLS 2.0 files, not sure what these are and what Windows supports. The Apple/QuickTime DLS is the same as the one supplied with Windows.

Attachments

• Filename
    DLS.zip
    File size
    2.58 MiB
    Downloads
    275 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

YouTube

Reply 4 of 6, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
MXDash wrote:

can I have my windows 98 games that use MIDI for music use different sounding instruments?

Lacking midi hardware, a popular method at the time was to install the Yamaha S-YXG50 v3.0 software synthesizer. Then in your windows audio configuration set it as the default midi device.

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 5 of 6, by LSS10999

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

For some SF2 soundfonts you might be able to convert to DLS using tools like Awave Studio and it plays without major issues. As for DLS version... I couldn't remember but it's most likely DLS 1.0. Not all soundfonts can be converted correctly as DLS might lack certain features.

By the way, Aureal Vortex supported loading custom DLS on NT 4.0. Not sure how this works on later operating systems, but I remember many audio processors at that time announced that their audio processor supported loading DLS in their datasheets.

Reply 6 of 6, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

In my signature, click the XG repository link and look in the soft synths folder.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK