VOGONS

First post, by HandOfFate

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have a ESS 1869F ISA card that used to work well in DOS, until I installed drivers for it in Windows 95. Since then MIDI music in DOS has disappeared, even though programs like DOSMID and games reports no problems in playing MIDI files.

Judging by this topic from 2017 I'm not the only one encountering this issue. But unfortunately there wasn't a good, consistent solution for it back then.

Does anyone know of a fix, workaround or something that will get MIDI playback back? I wouldn't mind losing sound in Windows.

Am486 DX4 120MHz, no L2, 16MB, Tseng ET4000/W32 1MB VLB, ESS ES1869 /// 5x86 133MHz, 256kb L2, 64MB, S3 Virge/DX 4MB PCI, SB16 + Yucatan FX, PicoGUS /// Pentium III 1GHz, 512MB, Asus V7700 64MB AGP, SB Live!

Reply 2 of 4, by HandOfFate

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks! That works but not always.

When I boot into Windows, I cannot get any audible MIDI in DOS even after a soft reboot (Ctrl-alt-del or Windows "restart" option). Only a hard reset or powering the system off and booting directly to DOS gives me music, if I add the '/a' parameter to ESSVOL.

I'm really wondering what the drivers are adjusting, or have adjusted, in the card because I didn't need the '/a' parameter before.

Perhaps the first issue (no MIDI after Windows) might be because something is changed in the PnP registers. The technical manual of the ESS1878 (different card) has this passage:

[PnP "Program Vendor-Defined Card-Level" register] 28h: leave all of the bits set to 00h until Windows starts up. The Windows driver will write this register to allow sharing MPU-401 and H/W volume interrupts.

I managed to read out some of the registers of the card with a simple C program. The PnP registers are less easily accessible, but if I stay curious about the answer I will try to read them as well.

Am486 DX4 120MHz, no L2, 16MB, Tseng ET4000/W32 1MB VLB, ESS ES1869 /// 5x86 133MHz, 256kb L2, 64MB, S3 Virge/DX 4MB PCI, SB16 + Yucatan FX, PicoGUS /// Pentium III 1GHz, 512MB, Asus V7700 64MB AGP, SB Live!

Reply 3 of 4, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm really wondering what the drivers are adjusting, or have adjusted, in the card because I didn't need the '/a' parameter before.

It added AuxB to the Windows mixer, where it is most likely muted. I normally put essvol in my autoexec.bat and in windows/dosstart.bat so that whatever volumes were set in Windows, are reset when booting or exiting to DOS.

Reply 4 of 4, by HandOfFate

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ah, but it's not muted for me. And running ESSVOL after going to DOS from Windows has no effect.

Which drivers do you use? The ones found on Vogonsdrivers?