VOGONS

First post, by NooN

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello guys,

I just took an old LAPC-I from the attic and put it in a 486 machine I was working on.

Initially it worked flawlessly, but after taking the motherboard out to fix the damage done by a Varta, it behaved strange.

It's like a feedback sound coming from a microphone. It builds up and after about a second (maybe attack phase, maybe echo module processing the sound that's coming) and then it stays like it is and sounds like it is looping - a looping microphone feedback sound! You can still hear music from games, but that is barely audible below that noise.

I checked the board, found a bent pin at the height of a Mitsubishi amplifier (not sure if it even had contact!), but a destroyed amplifier doesn't make sense (in my opinion). The sound comes from both channels (I think the amp is mono), so I think the cause may more be the echo module or the LA logic, or maybe a faulty RAM chip.

Issue is always the same when powering up the machine. Does anyone have a clue for me where I could look for the issue? Or is anyone able to check and repair it? (would pay for it).

Reply 1 of 14, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I would test it in a different system first.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 3 of 14, by CrossBow777

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You said the card was in the attic? Could be the caps are dried out on the LAP-I and it is time to change them out. I've thought about doing this on mine given how old these cards are now.

g883j7-2.png
Midi Modules: MT-32 (OLD), MT-200, MT-300, MT-90S, MT-90U, SD-20

Reply 4 of 14, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Can you make a recording of the noise ?

I have repaired one LAPC-I card in past and it turned to have a bad LA32 (the main synthesizer) chip. With luck this card would have a bad memory chip which wouldn't be a problem to replace.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 5 of 14, by NooN

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Made two (be careful to turn your audio down a bit, it's really like from hell...)

System turned on, where it builds up: https://badsector.de/download/lapc-startup.mp3
Game sound still barely audible: https://badsector.de/download/lapc-pushover.mp3

Reply 6 of 14, by NooN

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Okay, let's assume that has been an electrostatic shock (even though I was really caring to make this not happen): I suspect one of these 3 candidates that could have failed:
1. SRAM
2. LA synthesis
3. Echo handling

I'm not too familiar with the chip-side layout of the synth. Are 2 and 3 separated chip-wise? What of those things could possibly be most prone to an electrostatic shock?

Reply 7 of 14, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I forgot to check the files. I did so now and this sounds definitely coming from reverb related stuff, due to digital overflow which only will happen if there's data corruption going on. There's the reverb coeffs mask ROM, 4x DRAM chips and the reverb chip itself that can be at fault. I would swap out the memory chips first but if that doesn't cure it the fault is likely in one of the big chips and you only get those from another LA device...

Reply 9 of 14, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That link gives me 403 Forbidden, but yes, the DRAM chips are the MN4264, 4 of them in a row. You can use any 64Kbit 4bit wide DRAMs there, and even 256KBit ones if you tie one address line to GND or VCC since rest of the pinout is same.

Reply 11 of 14, by NooN

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So, that was a good guess! The first RAM chip was faulty! Got replacements yesterday and had only to replace the first one (that part was my guess).
I think the LAPC-I stores more than samples on its RAM, maybe some track or synth chip commands as well.
Also interesting that this card in essence can create this kind of quality with just 32K of RAM!

Reply 12 of 14, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

very nice!!! glad to see a great piece of hardware saved!

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 13 of 14, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That 32KB is the reverb buffer which is continuously written with new data from the synth output, processed and later read back and mixed with final output. No samples etc. get stored there.
Congratulations, it is nice to have this thing working again ~