VOGONS

First post, by tabm0de

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I did get a CT1330A rev 5 which i havent tested yet, just wanted to know how much it is worth, so i know how much time i should spend on it 😉

naa, nothing yet...

Reply 2 of 14, by tabm0de

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
derSammler wrote:

Weird question. Unless you want to sell it, why is that important for judging how much time you want to spend on it?

Anyway, they sell for 80 to 120€ normally.

Sadly price does matter for example if it is worth recapping it and save it instead of throw it out, i wouldn't spend my time recapping a vibra card if i just could buy one cheap vs time instead 😉

naa, nothing yet...

Reply 3 of 14, by Miphee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
tabm0de wrote:

Sadly price does matter for example if it is worth recapping it and save it instead of throw it out, i wouldn't spend my time recapping a vibra card if i just could buy one cheap vs time instead 😉

It's sad when people don't have time for their hobby but I understand. I'm the other way around, love spending time with repairs even if it takes days working on a simple clone 386 board.

Reply 4 of 14, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It's a great card. Dual OPL2 sounds awesome on the few games that support it. Has a bit of distortion, but that can be mostly corrected with mods

Reply 5 of 14, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Also, despite having a 16-bit edge connector it's still a true 8-bit card and works in PCs/XTs as long as you jumper appropriate IRQ and DMA selections

Reply 6 of 14, by tabm0de

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Miphee wrote:
tabm0de wrote:

It's sad when people don't have time for their hobby but I understand. I'm the other way around, love spending time with repairs even if it takes days working on a simple clone 386 board.

I would be the same if i hade the time and room 😉 i have spent many hours on other project but it went so far that i had to my work place as storage 😀

if it wont work recap wont be happening at least in a few month anyway 😀

naa, nothing yet...

Reply 7 of 14, by Miphee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
tabm0de wrote:

if it wont work recap wont be happening at least in a few month anyway 😀

I hope your storage conditions will soon improve! 😀
The last CT1330A that sold here was €45 in 2018.

Reply 8 of 14, by SirNickity

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's worth exactly what someone will pay for it, (plus shipping.) I think you're asking the wrong question.

Do you want to use it? Then yes, it's worth the trouble. If it needs to be re-capped, it takes a couple hours out of some lazy weekend, so get to work. 😀 Do you really have so much to do that your time is too valuable? What are you, the prime minister or something? 😉

If you don't want to keep it, then and only then does the price matter.

That said, regardless of worth, don't throw out a perfectly good card. I wouldn't even throw away a Vibra because of bad caps. Maybe they're not rare now, but they will be. Either fix it, or offload it to someone who will care for it, or hang on to it and sell it when the value increases. Throwing away repairable hardware at this point is just foolish. Someone here would gladly take it off your hands, even if it needed TLC.

Reply 10 of 14, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I spent a good while watching out for a 1330A. Finally nabbed one for around $75 quite a few months ago.

They generally go for $100+ on eBay.

That being said, I would keep it if I were you.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 12 of 14, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The last Vibra Cards are among the best ISA Cards ever made, yes they only Feature CQM but they Sound clear and crisp with Headphones.

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board

Reply 13 of 14, by jaZz_KCS

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
matze79 wrote:

The last Vibra Cards are among the best ISA Cards ever made, yes they only Feature CQM but they Sound clear and crisp with Headphones.

I think the first Vibra cards (Vibra16S) are the better ones. They have genuine Yamaha OPL chips and also sound clear and crisp. Have not found any faults with for example the CT2890 (Or was it the CT2980?)