Best PCI sound card for XP machine?

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 24, by buckeye

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cyclone3d wrote:

Are you planning on running ANY DOS games?

If not, then get an Audigy 2 ZS.

For that matter, if you are only planning to run Windows XP, you could even go with a PCI X-Fi card.. not the Xtreme audio which is a lame-duck cut-down version with no hardware acceleration much like how your current Audigy SE has no hardware acceleration.

You mentioned Xtreme audio as a lame-duck, is that the same as the SB X-Fi Xtreme Music? That's what I have for my XP rig and thought it was a good pick.

Asus P5N-E Intel Core 2 Duo 3.33ghz. 4GB DDR2 Geforce 470 1GB SB X-Fi Titanium 650W XP SP3
Intel SE440BX P3 450 256MB 80GB SSD Radeon 7200 64mb SB 32pnp 350W 98SE
MSI x570 Gaming Pro Carbon Ryzen 3700x 32GB DDR4 Zotac RTX 3070 8GB WD Black 1TB 850W

Reply 21 of 24, by dan86

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Dragonslayer182 wrote:

I'm mostly looking for the best EAX if I'm gonna be honest. I also don't have too much money atm so I do want an inexpensive card, no more than 30$ for a good one.

At that price a X-Fi card would be right for you.

Reply 22 of 24, by dan86

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
cyclone3d wrote:

$50 to $100.. for the card by itself without the external box. Cheapest card by itself I see on eBay right now is $79.

If you want everything, you are looking at $200.

I've been keeping an eye out for months for one to pop up for a good price.

They come up for a good price every now and then, I got mine for 38$ a year ago with everytign but the box and media bay thing. Try looking for the P/N as well.

Reply 23 of 24, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
buckeye wrote:
cyclone3d wrote:

For that matter, if you are only planning to run Windows XP, you could even go with a PCI X-Fi card.. not the Xtreme audio which is a lame-duck cut-down version with no hardware acceleration much like how your current Audigy SE has no hardware acceleration.

You mentioned Xtreme audio as a lame-duck, is that the same as the SB X-Fi Xtreme Music? That's what I have for my XP rig and thought it was a good pick.

Nope, the Xtreme Music has the real X-Fi chip.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 24 of 24, by buckeye

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cyclone3d wrote:
buckeye wrote:
cyclone3d wrote:

Nope, the Xtreme Music has the real X-Fi chip.

Good deal! Thanks!

Asus P5N-E Intel Core 2 Duo 3.33ghz. 4GB DDR2 Geforce 470 1GB SB X-Fi Titanium 650W XP SP3
Intel SE440BX P3 450 256MB 80GB SSD Radeon 7200 64mb SB 32pnp 350W 98SE
MSI x570 Gaming Pro Carbon Ryzen 3700x 32GB DDR4 Zotac RTX 3070 8GB WD Black 1TB 850W