VOGONS

First post, by lordskylark

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am looking for someone to make some high-quality recordings of the music for a few older games of the Might and Magic series for an archive for my personal friend who composed some of the music. We want to ensure that the actual original hardware is used, not emulation. The games do not have much music and I have saved games to easily get to each location on the. I am willing to pay for the time invested. The systems I need from are:

AppleII2 (three short games, a total of no more than 1 minute each)
Amiga (one game - about 30 minutes)
Macintosh OS6(?) or OS7(?) (one game - about 30 minutes)

Thank you,
Andrew

Reply 1 of 5, by Wolfus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

To record sound from Amiga you need:
2xRCA - 1x 3,5mm stereo TRS jack
PC with line input
Audacity

Connect Amiga audio out with PC line in, start Audacity, choose input, record, edit and export 😀

I think it's the same with Mac, although I think you will need TRS-TRS cable.

Reply 3 of 5, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Wolfus wrote:

I think it's the same with Mac, although I think you will need TRS-TRS cable.

Early Macs have 3.5" audio out as well, however those are speaker level, not line level. Recording music from an old Mac game is actually quite a challenge if you want to do it right. First, you need to deal with the speaker level. Second, Mac audio is very noisy. Third, old Mac games used QuickTime to play music and the instruments changed with every version of QuickTime. If you play the same game under System 6, 7, and MacOS 8, you get differently sounding music in all of them (similar to using different GM modules for the same DOS game).

If it's not that urgent, I could do the Mac and Amiga recordings. I have set up a dedicated audio recording system based on Linux with an Asus Xonar sound card for recording analog audio (112 dB SNR). I own lots of different Amigas and old Macs as well, depending on what is needed to run the game(s).

Reply 5 of 5, by lordskylark

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Marmes wrote:

You can use an amiga and use MAC emulator, it will work just fine 😀

One goal of the archive is to NOT use any emulation, but to have actual real machine recordings.

It seems I have someone who be doing the Mac and Amiga recordings.

So that leaves still needing someone to record AppleII music in high-quality to do 2 or 3 games with a total of 1 minute of music each.

Andrew