VOGONS

First post, by Lo-ResBros

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey guys,
So I have a Audigy 2 ZS card that is not detected when I run the installation cd. the card is detected under device manager and I am able to force install the VXD drivers so i do have the card working but I was wondering if anybody has had the same problem trying to install it normally with the installation cd.

Things I've tried:
- tried the card on both a ASUS CUBX and Gigabyte GA-60XM7E (both have Intel Chipsets)
- different PCI slots
- removed card, let windows startup, shutdown, re-install the card
- tried all the installation cd isos from the vogons driver library

I can live with it the way it is, but I think I might be missing out on some options and settings or programs that get installed with the CD during a normal installation.

AMD K6-2+/550MHz
Soltek SL-54U5 Super Socket 7
64MB SDRAM
3DFX Voodoo 3 3000 16MB
Sound Blaster AWE64
Roland SC-55mkII

Pentium MMX 233MHz
Tyan TitanVX S1470 Socket 7
128MB SDRAM
ATi Rage 128 pro 32MB
Audio Plus 320 v.1
Roland SC-88

Reply 1 of 8, by Stretch

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

From my recollection, you install from the setup file on the CD, which installs the WDM driver and apps. Then, once the driver and apps have been installed properly, there is a utility in the start menu that allows you to switch to the VxD drivers.

Win 11 - Intel i7-1360p - 32 GB - Intel Iris Xe - Sound BlasterX G5

Reply 2 of 8, by God Of Gaming

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Do make sure it's an actual retail card, not Dell/HP OEM, which are kinda useless for win9x and only good for win2k and up. They all say SB0350 on the front, but if you check the serial number on the sticker on the back, you might see sb0358 or sb0359 or something contained within the number, tell-tale that its not the actual retail sb0350

1999 Dream PC project | DirectX 8 PC project | 2003 Dream PC project

Reply 3 of 8, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Starting with the Live!, Creative made quite a mess when it comes to card variations. You can not mix the installation CDs, even if it's for a card with basically the same name. Your CD is most likely not for the specific variant of your Audigy 2 ZS card.

Reply 4 of 8, by Lo-ResBros

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
God Of Gaming wrote:

Do make sure it's an actual retail card, not Dell/HP OEM, which are kinda useless for win9x and only good for win2k and up. They all say SB0350 on the front, but if you check the serial number on the sticker on the back, you might see sb0358 or sb0359 or something contained within the number, tell-tale that its not the actual retail sb0350

I just double checked and my card says SB0350 both on the front and the rear sticker with serial No: M1SB0359447004360K

since I see "SB0359" in the actual serial number I'm guessing this is actually not a retail card then?

*edit* did some googling and looks like it's infact a HP OEM card. Maybe I can find some drivers for it

AMD K6-2+/550MHz
64MB SDRAM
3DFX Voodoo 3 3000 16MB
Sound Blaster AWE64
Roland SC-55mkII

Pentium MMX 233MHz
128MB SDRAM
ATi Rage 128 pro 32MB
Audio Plus 320 v.1
Roland SC-88

Reply 5 of 8, by God Of Gaming

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If you can find the HP driver disc, and it contains win9x drivers, you might be able to, but you can't use the retail creative disc, it wont detect it. There was a thread around here somewhere with instructions of how to extract the driver files and edit them so they will detect oem cards, but when I had one of those, it didnt work for me. Force-installing driver from device manager will get the card to output sound, but without EAX and other advanced features being enabled. So I sold mine and am now looking for a cheap retail model

Reply 6 of 8, by Stretch

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

After some web searching, I found the instructions to allow the OEM Audigy 2 ZS to work with the Creative driver CD.

See the instructions from user Magnux here AnandTech Forums - Audigy 2: ZS retail vs. OEM

...If this is something you want to do, follow the manual method (not automatic method) at this site. But, instead of inserting the Audigy 1, SBLive! 5.1 and SBLive! lines it mentions, simply add 02200005 to the list of ID's that are currently in the CTComp.DAT file...

The archived site with full instructions How To Install The Audigy 2 Unified Drivers & Software On An Audigy/Live!

Win 11 - Intel i7-1360p - 32 GB - Intel Iris Xe - Sound BlasterX G5

Reply 7 of 8, by God Of Gaming

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

yes, this is exactly what I tried when I had one of these, and it still didn't work for me. but it seems to work for some, so idk

Reply 8 of 8, by Lo-ResBros

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Stretch wrote:
After some web searching, I found the instructions to allow the OEM Audigy 2 ZS to work with the Creative driver CD. […]
Show full quote

After some web searching, I found the instructions to allow the OEM Audigy 2 ZS to work with the Creative driver CD.

See the instructions from user Magnux here AnandTech Forums - Audigy 2: ZS retail vs. OEM

...If this is something you want to do, follow the manual method (not automatic method) at this site. But, instead of inserting the Audigy 1, SBLive! 5.1 and SBLive! lines it mentions, simply add 02200005 to the list of ID's that are currently in the CTComp.DAT file...

The archived site with full instructions How To Install The Audigy 2 Unified Drivers & Software On An Audigy/Live!

thanks for this, I'm attempting it now. First with the automatic method, but if that doesn't work I'll give the manual method a try too.

AMD K6-2+/550MHz
64MB SDRAM
3DFX Voodoo 3 3000 16MB
Sound Blaster AWE64
Roland SC-55mkII

Pentium MMX 233MHz
128MB SDRAM
ATi Rage 128 pro 32MB
Audio Plus 320 v.1
Roland SC-88