VOGONS

First post, by Kurasiu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I recently got an ESS Solo-1 PCI card for a Windows 95/DOS rig. While it works mighty fine in both Windows and DOS, I absolutely can't figure out how to enable the gameport. While installing the Windows drivers, only the device and DOS emulation drivers are installed, and there doesn't seem to be any trace of gameport in the device manager, or the game controller window. Same thing under DOS, loading the essolo.com properly configures the card, but always returns "Game Port Disabled" message.

Am I missing something? Is there any way to enable that gameport? I have the very same card as the one on the pic below:

002.jpg

Reply 2 of 5, by Kurasiu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Oh, where would that tool be located? I used the drivers from Phil's Computer Lab, and it seems to only install the drivers and the com tool/ini/sys in the root directory.

Reply 4 of 5, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I ran into the exact same problem. There is no way to activate the gameport. The driver does DISABLE it on start before Win95 is loaded. Changing the essolo.ini, changing the essolo.sys/com does not help. I can't figure out what the problem is. Installing a gameport manual in win95 does not work, it installs but it's not working.

I do have an older Win95-diver. This one installs the gameport just fine, BUT even if all drivers are installed (win-vxd and dos-emulation and joystick), there is NO sound in dos-window/fullscreen and in windows the sound stutters or even stops while playing (e.g. jediknight).

it's frustrating!

perhaps I can find a config-tool you mentioned above...perhaps I have overlooked it....

Retro-Gamer 😀 ...on different machines

Reply 5 of 5, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

there is no tool that you can use to configure the card, it's the wrong driver.
using that one and everything is OK.

Attachments

• Filename
    406-1126.zip
    File size
    1.69 MiB
    Downloads
    314 downloads
    File license
    Public domain

Retro-Gamer 😀 ...on different machines