VOGONS

First post, by Per Hansson

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, found the following Youtube video of Settlers II with a Yamaha MU80: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-dD-FuVN-w
It sounds really sweet, now although Settlers II is a favorite game of mine I also enjoy games like Duke Nukem 3D even more.
And so a Roland SC-55 would be a better match for me.
I also enjoy older games like Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis however than can be handled well with Munt (IMO)
I do actually own the original CD of Settlers II and yes it does come with Red Book audio.
However after finding out about Roland Sound Canvas and what I have been missing out on I'd really want to relive some of my childhood the proper way 😀
This got me thinking how Settlers II would sound with a SC-88 Pro set to the "undocumented" Yamaha XG compatibility mode?
If anyone would be able to make such a test for me I'd be really grateful!
Oh, and this is a great site btw, been lurking for long, I do see some familiar faces around here too 😀

Reply 1 of 7, by SuperDeadite

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Does Settlers use XG? I would assume its just GM and you are hearing the default mu80 GM instruments. An 88 in XG mode will not sound like a real Yamaha, it will just use the samples that Roland thought were the closest to the Yamaha sound.

Modules: CM-64, CM-500, SC-55MkII, SC-88 Pro, SY22, TG100, MU2000EX, PLG100-SG, PLG150-DR, PLG150-AN, SG01k, NS5R, GZ-50M, SN-U110-07, SN-U110-10, Pocket Studio 5, DreamBlaster S2, X2, McFly, E-Wave, QWave, CrystalBlaster C2, Yucatan FX, BeepBlaster

Reply 3 of 7, by Per Hansson

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well I could be wrong, but from the description of the Youtube video in my OP:
"The Settlers II: Veni, Vidi, Vici by Blue Byte, extremely rare XG midi format in a game!"

And here is another playlist that is also in XG mode but on a Yamaha MU2000:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL_BhbJ … xKqiLjNK8ZNL-Mm

And some posts here on Vogons that also talk about it being XG mode:

blackmasked wrote on 2017-08-19, 15:30:

The Settlers II where CDA sounds like it was recorded on a Yamaha XG compatible device and saved as CDA.

RetroGC wrote on 2018-02-25, 08:47:
Games with XG Midi soundtrack? AFAIK […]
Show full quote

Games with XG Midi soundtrack?
AFAIK

Final Fantasy VII, Final Fantasy VIII and Settlers 2.

Any others?

Aldo

But ok, if the SC-88 Pro in XG mode sounds terrible with this soundtrack then there is not much point in shelling out extra for it for me.
I also do prefer the ascetics of smaller form factor of the SC-88VL and SC-55 more.
I am however still intrigued by how it would sound, so if anyone wants to try it on a SC-88 Pro I'm all ears 😀

Reply 4 of 7, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The Settlers II where CDA sounds like it was recorded on a Yamaha XG compatible device and saved as CDA.

CDA means "CD Audio". No doubt here that the CDDA tracks were probably recorded from a Yamaha XG compatible device (which doesn't mean that it uses XG features! GM does not magically use XG features when played on an XG device).

The game itself only offers a "General MIDI" option. It would clearly state XG somewhere, if it had music in that format.

Reply 5 of 7, by Per Hansson

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes, I wrote about Red Book in my OP, so basically you are saying these guys that posted those videos are wrong?
They do write that they do playback in GX mode but you mean it is GM mode instead?
I mean obviously on the Roland there is not a button to put it in GX mode, but on the Yamaha there is so...?
Here is a playlist of the sound with a SC-55, does not sound right at all...
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLTiP3X … bM7cYkpvmLD0zVv

Reply 6 of 7, by Swampy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

You were right, Settlers 2 sends XG reset, show XG messages on LCD and uses drums sets on MSB 127. I recommend to reset non-XG devices to GM mode - it should ignore the MSB on channel 10. Otherwise it will sound incorrectly. I think I explained this in that YT video years ago.

Reply 7 of 7, by Stretch

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Settlers II is listed as using Circle Surround at the bottom of Circle Surround Audio Discography. From what I've read on Circle Surround, it was a matrix encoded format like Dolby Surround, where 2 channel audio is decoded into multichannel. Does Settlers II use Circle Surround for the SFX, CD-Audio, and/or MIDI?

Win 11 - Intel i7-1360p - 32 GB - Intel Iris Xe - Sound BlasterX G5