Topic actions

Reply 20 of 27, by iraito

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
appiah4 wrote on 2023-05-07, 17:19:
terrormiah wrote on 2023-05-07, 00:53:
appiah4 wrote on 2020-01-16, 09:24:

It's one of the best known Aureal 2 cards. How much are you looking to pay for one? Locally I have an indefinite supply of these for about $17 a piece.

Sorry to necro this thread but I do not have the ability to PM yet and was wondering if you still had a source for MX300 cards and if I could buy one from/through you.

No longer have it. I helped a few vogoners get a few of these cards before the seller wisened up and stopped selling to me. No idea if he still has the stock or sells to someone else, but he won't respond to my messages anymore.

In 3 years vortex 2 cards became near impossible to find and the price went up a lot, is the card really that rare?

uRj9ajU.pngqZbxQbV.png
If you wanna check a blue ball playing retro PC games
MIDI Devices: RA-50 (modded to MT-32) SC-55

Reply 21 of 27, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

theyre not that rare but for some reason the diamond cards prices are usually jacked but I've seen a lot of OEM Aureal cards and cards of other brands like turtle beach and I think DELL and the like at reasonable to cheap not to long ago.

Reply 22 of 27, by psybyrd

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yeah things have gone nuts really fast, mostly due to all the YT hype etc. While these cards are certainly less common, I wouldn't say rare. The demand is very high
and Resellers are waiting for them to peak before letting them go.

Reply 23 of 27, by iraito

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Warlord wrote on 2023-05-09, 05:12:

theyre not that rare but for some reason the diamond cards prices are usually jacked but I've seen a lot of OEM Aureal cards and cards of other brands like turtle beach and I think DELL and the like at reasonable to cheap not to long ago.

I checked a bit into it and i think that's because of the AU8830, the diamond has it for sure, the sq2500 too but most (if not all, even the montego 2) of the other cards don't, so maybe that's the reason why?

uRj9ajU.pngqZbxQbV.png

Reply 24 of 27, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Everybody knows about the MX300 so that is the card people look for. A few companies used the Aureal chipset to make their own cards and I have a few models that mostly differ in whether they use coax or optical for digital out.

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software

Reply 25 of 27, by iraito

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Unknown_K wrote on 2023-05-09, 06:24:

Everybody knows about the MX300 so that is the card people look for. A few companies used the Aureal chipset to make their own cards and I have a few models that mostly differ in whether they use coax or optical for digital out.

And those cards are using the actual AU8830 chip? because i searched most lists online but even some "enthusiasts" in the sound card market list very few cards with that actual chip.

uRj9ajU.pngqZbxQbV.png

Reply 26 of 27, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Aureal SQ2500 for one. There were a bunch of 8820 clones out there that don't have digital out.

My MX300 was NIB when they first came out and I think I managed to get a coax daughter card for it years later. The other Aureal cards I snagged were ebay specials or from compgeeks back when everyone was dumping their Aureal inventory post-bankruptcy 20+ years ago. I was buying them for machines that had noisy built in Audio at the time (or no audio at all). They are very nice sound cards as long as you stick with W9x and have games that support them.

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software

Reply 27 of 27, by terrormiah

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
appiah4 wrote on 2023-05-07, 17:19:
terrormiah wrote on 2023-05-07, 00:53:
appiah4 wrote on 2020-01-16, 09:24:

It's one of the best known Aureal 2 cards. How much are you looking to pay for one? Locally I have an indefinite supply of these for about $17 a piece.

Sorry to necro this thread but I do not have the ability to PM yet and was wondering if you still had a source for MX300 cards and if I could buy one from/through you.

No longer have it. I helped a few vogoners get a few of these cards before the seller wisened up and stopped selling to me. No idea if he still has the stock or sells to someone else, but he won't respond to my messages anymore.

That's a shame, thank you for the reply though!