VOGONS

First post, by SirNickity

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I downloaded the GUS 4.11 software archive from the GUS archives. It has .ZIP files with the contents of each disk rather than disk images, so I extracted these to a set of floppies. The first disk has the installer and a few support files, and the first 1.2MB of an archive file the spans the other disks -- which each have a single 1.4MB file with incrementing numbers for the extension.

The problem is, I can install all the contents of the first disk, then it asks for the second. When I put in the second, it immediately asks again for the second disk. Just for grins, I tried disks 3-6 and they didn't work either (which is no surprise.) I'm guessing there's a missing "disk.id" file or it's supposed to have a certain volume label to recognize the disks?

Anyone know?

Reply 1 of 7, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

can you post a link of the download?
most likely the installer checks the floppy volume label and that's why it fails

edit:
found them weird they seem to be coming from the gravis ftp...
http://www.gravisultrasound.com/installdisks.htm
have you tried the label GUS411B label for diks 2?

Last edited by keropi on 2020-01-24, 18:39. Edited 2 times in total.

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 3 of 7, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

try this: extract all ZIPs to a directory and run the installer from there , like this:

ZrSALyHl.png

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 4 of 7, by SirNickity

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
derSammler wrote on 2020-01-24, 18:32:

I guess you need to name the floppy disks like the individual .zip files, that is "gus411a" to "gus411f".

Oooohhh.. that didn't occur to me at all. I was thinking they probably needed to be labeled, but trying to guess would be a shot in the dark. (I tried snooping in the install.exe file with a hex editor, but I think it's compressed -- just binary data for days.) Naming the ZIP files accordingly would be sensible though. I'll give that a try tonight!

If that doesn't work, I'll try copying all their contents to a temp folder and installing from there, but I really want to get it working from disks. 😀

Thanks guys!

Reply 5 of 7, by SirNickity

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Follow-up: Labeling the disk per the ZIP filenames did not help. I was able to complete the install by copying the files into a temp directory and installing from there. Still would like to know what's holding the installer back from using the disks though. Anyone have original media?

Reply 6 of 7, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have version 4.10 diskettes, and volume labels are from ULTRASND_1 to ULTRASND_6

Żywotwór planetarny, jego gnijące błoto, jest świtem egzystencji, fazą wstępną, i wyłoni się z krwawych ciastomózgowych miedź miłująca...