VOGONS

First post, by Mentalbass

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Dear Reader(s),

I have an Award Bios, Pentium 1 166mmx 32MB setup with an CT4170 Soundblaster Vibra PNP card.
I'm running on dos and used CTCMBBS install file. (I haven't tried SBBASIC install just yet. Because de CTCM configures automatically from Config.sys and autoexec.bat.
Blaster settings in Autoexec.bat : A220 I5 D1 H1 P330 T6
And the problem is with 16 bit DMA confict....... Games like DUke3d and Blood won't run because of conflict. BUT Rise of triad, doom, doom2, wolf3d work with sound.

1. is there a BIOS setting to check for conflict with a LPT1 port or so. How do I free DMA's for pnp soundcard?
I'm not relly familiar in BIOS so what are settings in BIOS to check/uncheck in my case?

2. Second do SBBASIC install fix this issue? And or should I set SET BLASTER= command above other settings in AUTOEXEC.BAT?

Any suggestions would help.
Thanks for your time!

Rise of the Triad

Reply 1 of 9, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ahh, the joys of using "Plug and Pray" hardware in DOS, I remember those well from back in the day.

In the Award BIOS, there's usually a menu called "Integrated Peripherals". From there, you should be able to disable the onboard parallel and serial ports which will free up the relevant IRQ values, if that's what you're after.

As for the DMA conflict, if you have Windows 98 installed, you can check what's taking up DMA 5 using Start > Programs > Accessories > System Information > Hardware Resources > DMA. There is probably a way to check this in pure DOS as well, but I don't recall it off hand.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 2 of 9, by Mentalbass

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2020-02-05, 07:43:

Ahh, the joys of using "Plug and Pray" hardware in DOS, I remember those well from back in the day.

In the Award BIOS, there's usually a menu called "Integrated Peripherals". From there, you should be able to disable the onboard parallel and serial ports which will free up the relevant IRQ values, if that's what you're after.

As for the DMA conflict, if you have Windows 98 installed, you can check what's taking up DMA 5 using Start > Programs > Accessories > System Information > Hardware Resources > DMA. There is probably a way to check this in pure DOS as well, but I don't recall it off hand.

Thanks I will check integrated peripherals. Might help from there. Does setting "PnP OS" Enabled/Disabled do anything since I'm running true DOS 6.22?
Ik have no 98 or 95 installed... I want the true DOS experience 😀

Last edited by Stiletto on 2020-02-06, 22:00. Edited 1 time in total.

Rise of the Triad

Reply 3 of 9, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Mentalbass wrote on 2020-02-05, 07:59:

Does setting "PnP OS" Enabled/Disabled do anything since I'm running true DOS 6.22?

IIRC, setting this to "No" will make the BIOS init the card and assign it the resources it deems to be free, instead of waiting for the OS to do it. Not sure how that interacts with CTCM and CTCU to be honest, since I use a non-PnP Opti card nowadays.

What I do know is that you want the following values for maximum compatibility, if the relevant resources are free of course:

SET BLASTER=A220 I7 D1 H5 P330 T6

I'll let someone who actually has a SB16 chime in on how to set up CTCM/CTCU in order to make the card use those resources.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 4 of 9, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There's no conflict, it is by design. The Vibra16XV can not use 16-bit DMAs, so low and high DMA channels are the same (or at least either 1 or 3). BUILD engine games like Duke3D and Blood are known to not work with such a configuration and you have to select SB Pro mode in these games.

You can live with that constraint or replace the card.

Reply 6 of 9, by Mentalbass

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
derSammler wrote on 2020-02-05, 08:55:

There's no conflict, it is by design. The Vibra16XV can not use 16-bit DMAs, so low and high DMA channels are the same (or at least either 1 or 3). BUILD engine games like Duke3D and Blood are known to not work with such a configuration and you have to select SB Pro mode in these games.

You can live with that constraint or replace the card.

Great ! That explains the D1 H1 setting
I really dont mind playing Duke/Redneck Rampage/Blood etc with Sb pro or SB 2.0 set. If it works it's good 😀
But how do I make Duke3d or Blood or any game that demands High DMA to work then. Because when in Setup choosing SB Pro or less still asks for a high DMA value.

If you choose SB pro or Soundblaster 2.0/compatible it still wants to know high DMA setting.
How did you "Bypassed" this for these sort games?

Rise of the Triad

Reply 8 of 9, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Mentalbass wrote on 2020-02-05, 09:37:

But how do I make Duke3d or Blood or any game that demands High DMA to work then. Because when in Setup choosing SB Pro or less still asks for a high DMA value.

Yeah, the setup is a bit odd there. When you select Sound Blaster and continue with using the settings, it will ask you some more questions. Select "8-bit mixing" to make it not use the high DMA.

Reply 9 of 9, by Mentalbass

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
derSammler wrote on 2020-02-05, 10:01:
Mentalbass wrote on 2020-02-05, 09:37:

Yeah, the setup is a bit odd there. When you select Sound Blaster and continue with using the settings, it will ask you some more questions. Select "8-bit mixing" to make it not use the high DMA.

I'm thankfull for knowledge in this forum!

Why didn't i think of that........

Thanks!

Rise of the Triad