VOGONS

First post, by xlucas

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Here goes a story. It is remotely possible that one of you can give me a hint and help, but most likely, it's not possible. Still, maybe this could be a good example of what not to do when you're curious on how things work.

I discovered sound table music rather late. I had a SBPro clone until perhaps year 2000 or 2001. Then one day, a friend of mine acquired a used SB AWE64 by chance because he obtained an old computer from somebody else who was upgrading. We were both surprised. I had no idea that thing existed. I had heard the name, but assumed it was a lot less "dramatic", the difference from a SB Pro or SB 16. So I went and found a shop that had an old AWE64 in stock. It already was a little hard to find.

It was wonderful for a couple of years. And one day, I wanted to know how to program the card's ports. I did find some information online and in booklets, but was insufficient. So I did what I normally do when I have doubts: I ran a series or pretty random experiments. I was able to get some sound from the OPLs by randomly poking to the two lowest ports (which also works on SB pros) so I wondered what would happen if I wrote to the other ports. I did get some sound from the EMU8000, but it was less clear, more random. So I tried flooding all the ports randomly with random data. Some strange sound came out. After that, nothing changed again. So well, I decided to stop the testing and run some games, but now the games weren't making any sound. It was the same noise coming from the sound card. So I rebooted the computer. At that point, the sound card was no longer detected by the system. I tried reconfiguring it from software and then hardware (changing the jumpers to the defaults) and a few more things, but it never worked again 🙁

My guess is that my random flood must have activated a command to write over the firmware and I just filled it with trash. Of course, imagine trying to find instructions to recover the firmware of a 90's AWE64! I still have the card somewhere. It was really hard to find a replacement later on, but I eventually did.

Anyway... any thoughts? I learnt a lesson that day. It was sad.

Reply 1 of 10, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That sounds like the PnP EEPROM got corrupt, which is something that is known to happen to the AWE32 and AWE64 cards.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 2 of 10, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Not sure where you live, but the AWE64 is not a rare card. Infact, they almost grow on trees...cheap too. The Gold version tends to be a bit expensive, but also not rare.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 3 of 10, by xlucas

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks, guys. Yes, I'm aware that, worldwide, AWEs are relatively easy to find. I mean, I see them when I look up online. But I live in Argentina. When these cards became available here, they were too expensive for the average user, so very few people here bought them. When everything went PCI, few AWEs remained in stock at local stores. Only option now is buy it online, but Argentina is a weird land and we get horribly taxed for online purchases, plus our currency is the one with the third highest inflation rate in the world. So, I'll do all I can to avoid having to get something online if I can find it at a local store. Still, local stores sell at rates that are super expensive compared to other countries, but still cheaper than paying the taxes.

As I said, I currently do have another AWE64, but it's not exactly the same version. I have thought I would like to find a way to read its EEPROM and get its "firmware" or configuration from it, then copy it to the "damaged" card, but I have the feeling I'm more likely to break the second than to fix the first.

Reply 4 of 10, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What model is the awe64 that is messed up?

There is an AWE64 flash program - if you use this, you need a system that will run the program to image a floppy with the flasher.
https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/dr … driverid=r19293

Filename
aweflsh.zip
File size
359.75 KiB
Downloads
47 downloads
File license
Public domain

Also see here:
AWE64 Gold CT4390 Firmware

And here:
Creative PnP EEPROM collection

Found this FAQ which should shed light on programming the card:
https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en& … ko/&prev=search

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 5 of 10, by xlucas

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Wow! I didn't expect there was any chance of doing anything about it!

Anyway, my old AWE64 (pictured) is a model CT4380. As I understand, pretty old. The plus sockets are black, as opposed to other models that have them coloured in red and blue or in pink and light blue, light green, etc. I am not sure which IC is the EEPROM and I can see all are surface-mounted, non-removable, so it'll be complicated if I have to edit it manually, but I imagine there's a chance I have no choice: Since the card gets its ports after detection and I originally wrote to the EEPROM (trashed it) through those ports, and now it's not detected, I can't think of how the software could possibly get to it. Besides, I have no idea how legacy PnP works. But yes, I'd first try the software!

Attachments

• myawe64.jpg
    Filename
    myawe64.jpg
    File size
    437.94 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Damaged AWE64 model CT4380
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 7 of 10, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

EEPROM is the small 8pin chip next to the big AWE chip.

Reply 9 of 10, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It doesn't have the right parts on it