VOGONS

First post, by ShovelKnight

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi,

I now have two motherboards with SB-LINK and I'm now looking into PCI sound cards that have SB-LINK headers and good DOS compatibility. Terratec TTSOLO looks like a very good card overall, being based on the ESS Solo-1 chip.

However, it seems there were several versions of this sound card that had either the SB-LINK header or the wavetable header but not both. It seems the cards are fully populated either way, it's only the headers themselves that are missing.

So in theory it should be possible to buy a card without the header and simply solder it on, correct?

Reply 1 of 2, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ShovelKnight wrote on 2020-03-31, 17:10:
Hi, […]
Show full quote

Hi,

I now have two motherboards with SB-LINK and I'm now looking into PCI sound cards that have SB-LINK headers and good DOS compatibility. Terratec TTSOLO looks like a very good card overall, being based on the ESS Solo-1 chip.

However, it seems there were several versions of this sound card that had either the SB-LINK header or the wavetable header but not both. It seems the cards are fully populated either way, it's only the headers themselves that are missing.

So in theory it should be possible to buy a card without the header and simply solder it on, correct?

I've done that to a card missing the wavetable header. It was 5 minutes' work, no additional components or software needed. Just stick it in there and it's available for use.

Before:
DVbMGFiln4yWtnpyfrR5rsdy.jpg

After:
sky4aphZCpG4bz9WD3hssE8i.jpg

Tested it with my little Trust/Korg module and MIDI output ensued:
mn3aqJbBbahMN81s8UCqS3pu.jpg