VOGONS

First post, by foil_fresh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

hey guys

just a little curious about something i noticed the other night.

I was having super difficult times getting my Audigy eX working in my w98 athlon xp machine and decided to move my Aureal 2 card (diamond monster sound) in to do it's job as I've got the correct drivers and know how to install it. The Aureal 2 installed with VXD drivers, I tested it and it worked fine. I then tried out something completely different in regards to the Audigy card. I have heard previously that SB Live driver can run the same emu chip, and after an attempt it has installed fine with a WDM driver pack.

Note that the Audigy card isn't actually hooked up to any audio cables so it's just sitting there for the moment.

So I was under the impression that WDM drivers can handle emulated CD audio via Daemon tools, and VXD is not going to work. This was the goal- use the Audigy for a few EAX titles here and there, using it for CD audio and then leaving the Aureal 2 for everything else. My plan was to make a little 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable to run the audigy into the line-in on the Aureal 2.

Last night I was testing an image of Half Life Opposing Force (mounted with Daemon tools), loaded it up to test out A3D... and then the ingame CD music started playing???? I checked that there wasn't another game cd in the drive, there was nothing. Are the WDM drivers installed for the Audigy (SB Live drivers) somehow enabling the Aureal 2 to run the cd audio? It's a real nice suprise but i dont get it. Another game I installed needed directx 9, could this be it?

Cheers

Reply 1 of 2, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

So I was under the impression that WDM drivers can handle emulated CD audio via Daemon tools, and VXD is not going to work.

There's nothing necessarily inherent to WDM that makes it uniquely capable of handling multiple audio streams in a way that VXD cannot.

Can you, say, play a music file in Winamp or Media Player and then play other sounds at the same time in Sound Recorder?

Reply 2 of 2, by foil_fresh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Jorpho wrote on 2020-04-01, 01:32:

So I was under the impression that WDM drivers can handle emulated CD audio via Daemon tools, and VXD is not going to work.

There's nothing necessarily inherent to WDM that makes it uniquely capable of handling multiple audio streams in a way that VXD cannot.

Can you, say, play a music file in Winamp or Media Player and then play other sounds at the same time in Sound Recorder?

Nonono, there's no issue with anything. I'm just confused that it does more than I expected it to (the Aureal 2 using VXD drivers, being able to play emulated CD audio).