VOGONS

First post, by austinham

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So i was on archive.org digging around like I tend to do when board and sound a killer sound font.
https://archive.org/details/SGM-V2.01
Has anyone her mess with it?
But the bigger question, can it be used with the sound blaster soundfount bank manger in 98 on a live or Audigy? \

I attached to samples of it.

Reply 1 of 6, by TechieDude

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
austinham wrote on 2020-05-18, 16:22:

But the bigger question, can it be used with the sound blaster soundfount bank manger in 98 on a live or Audigy? \

I'm afraid not, because SBLive! can't load SoundFonts larger than 64MB and SGM is ~240MB, so even with the Audigy you might have trouble, considering most people have 256MB of RAM on their Win98 PCs. Maybe on an Audigy with 512MB RAM.

Reply 2 of 6, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

SBLIve! can load soundfonts larger than 64 MB when using the kx drivers: https://github.com/kxproject/kX-Audio-driver-binaries

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 3 of 6, by TechieDude

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
elianda wrote on 2020-05-31, 20:34:

SBLIve! can load soundfonts larger than 64 MB when using the kx drivers: https://github.com/kxproject/kX-Audio-driver-binaries

I didn't know Kx drivers surpassed that. However, Kx has no support for Windows 98 since version 5.00.3537
And yes, I did look it up to know if they even supported Win98 to begin with, and to my surprise, they did.

Reply 4 of 6, by austinham

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
TechieDude wrote on 2020-05-31, 00:04:
austinham wrote on 2020-05-18, 16:22:

I'm afraid not, because SBLive! can't load SoundFonts larger than 64MB and SGM is ~240MB, so even with the Audigy you might have trouble, considering most people have 256MB of RAM on their Win98 PCs. Maybe on an Audigy with 512MB RAM.

I loaded a sound fount over 1gb on my audigy in windows 7.

Reply 5 of 6, by TechieDude

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
austinham wrote on 2020-05-31, 23:50:

I loaded a sound fount over 1gb on my audigy in windows 7.

You asked about Windows 98, where you can't use more than 512 MB RAM anyway, unless you use rLoew's RAM patch. And Audigy is only limited by your system RAM anyway (so is Live! apparently with Kx drivers, but not with Creative Drivers, where it's limited to 64MB)

Reply 6 of 6, by Sly_Botts

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

There is a newer version of this sound font that's approximately 300mg called "SGM-v2.01-NicePianosGuitarsBass-V1.2". There are also other variations people have made to this soundfont you can find online.

It is possible to commit no errors and still lose. That is not a weakness, that is life.