VOGONS

First post, by ViTi95

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi! Due to the COVID-19 situation I don't have access to all my hardware, and only can test new builds of FastDoom with DosBox and PCEM emulators (which aren't as realiable as it should be). FastDoom is a native DOS Doom port optimized to be as fast as possible for 386/486 cpu's, based on PCDoom by @nukeykt. I've implemented changes in the Apogee Sound Library to support new sound cards (Disney Sound Source / Tandy Sound Source), new FM modes (OPL3 and Stereo OPL3) and fixed support for Gravis Ultrasound cards. Can anyone test this alpha release for me?

To enable Disney Sound Source you must modify by hand "DEFAULT.CFG" and set the variable "snd_sfxdevice" to 12 (Tandy Sound Source is 13). If you select Adlib music with SETUP.EXE it will use standard OPL2 music (same as Vanilla Doom), selecting Sound blaster as music device it will try to detect the sound card, and enable Stereo OPL2, OPL3 or Stereo OPL3 modes automatically.

Thanks!

Attachments

• Filename
    FastDoom_0.7_rc1.zip
    File size
    1.83 MiB
    Downloads
    40 downloads
    File comment
    FastDoom 0.7 Release Candidate 1
    File license
    Public domain

https://www.youtube.com/@viti95

Reply 1 of 4, by MAZter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sound source not working, I hear it's trying to initialize on startup, but light on device stay off and Doom hang with weird sound from PC speaker on first key press in menu and crash.

With Prince of Persia red light on device on after game start and works fine on LPT1.

Doom is what you want (c) MAZter

Reply 2 of 4, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

DSS support works on my reverse engineered circuit. Just keep in mind that it doesn't support the "power on/off" signal and is basically always active. Remains silent when changing to Covox mode on startup.
@MAZter: There's a debug command you can issue to force power up of the DSS, maybe give it a shot and check if it works then? Maybe the power up signal isn't issued by FDoom. Page1 of the "programmer's guide" describes how to do it see: https://archive.org/details/dss-programmers-guide/mode/2up (I'm not a programmer so I don't know how exactly one would ideally do that).

GUS support also seems to work again (tested with an ARGUS RC1)

Current Project: new GUS PnP compatible soundcard

[Z?]

Reply 3 of 4, by ViTi95

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
MAZter wrote on 2020-10-09, 01:16:

Sound source not working, I hear it's trying to initialize on startup, but light on device stay off and Doom hang with weird sound from PC speaker on first key press in menu and crash.

With Prince of Persia red light on device on after game start and works fine on LPT1.

What is your pc hardware and what LPT port are you using @MAZter? The auto-initialization code isn't modified and it's the same that uses ROTT and Duke Nukem 3D, so it's weird it isn't able to startup the DSS.

BTW forgot to mention that Covox Speech Thing and LPT DAC devices aren't supported right now, but will be in the future (when I get one in hand).

Thanks for testing and providing support 😁

https://www.youtube.com/@viti95

Reply 4 of 4, by MAZter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ViTi95 wrote on 2020-10-09, 12:01:

What is your pc hardware and what LPT port are you using @MAZter?

Nec Versa V/50 notebook with only one available LPT - 1, later I will try with different laptop.

Doom is what you want (c) MAZter