VOGONS

Reply 120 of 169, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hi. I'm interested in using this card with my HP thin client, but in worried about compatibility. I've had a lot of trouble getting any of my Yamaha PCI cards to behave with this system.

My YMF724 breaks the keyboard, both USB and PS/2. It just stops working, and there is a screeching sound that comes from the onboard audio when the system is powered on. The YMF744 doesn't break the keyboard and doesn't have the screeching sound, but the BIOS doesn't assign it an IRQ and so it can't work in either DOS or Windows.

I'm not sure what the issue is with these cards and this particular platform. I've had mixed luck with some other cards but most of them work, such as the ESS Solo-1.

Are you familiar at all with these problems or why they might be occuring?

20220528_020451_resize_24.jpg
Filename
20220528_020451_resize_24.jpg
File size
174.71 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
20220528_020356_resize_88.jpg
Filename
20220528_020356_resize_88.jpg
File size
283.54 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
20220528_020405_resize_59.jpg
Filename
20220528_020405_resize_59.jpg
File size
231.63 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Reply 121 of 169, by hard1k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Kahenraz wrote on 2022-05-28, 06:17:

Are you familiar at all with these problems or why they might be occuring?

Hi! Not really. But thinking that our sound controllers will be behind another PCI-PCI bridge, so the actual behavior may be different from the one you've experienced.

Fortex, the A3D & XG/OPL3 accelerator (Vortex 2 + YMF744 combo sound card)
AWE64 Legacy
Please have a look at my wishlist (hosted on Amibay)

Reply 122 of 169, by hard1k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hello everyone!

We have great news: both parts of Fortex function just as planned, and their digital interconnection (S/PDIF Out from AU8830 going into S/PDIF In of YMF744) works great too!

However now we have an urgent need for a good coding guy who would be willing to help us out. The matter is that YMF744's S/PDIF Out is functional in Windows, and also in the MS-DOS Mode (when you "exit" from Windows into MS-DOS without actually rebooting the PC). But when you reboot, it gets disabled, and there is no way to activate it except starting Windows. This problem was already mentioned before (Re: Yamaha XG with S/PDIF out ?), and no solution has been found if I'm not mistaken. So, we need someone who could find the needed YMF744 register, identify its needed value, and write a DOS utility to restore it after reboot. A patched version of SETUPDS would also be just fine, but a separate utility seems a bit more elegant to me. Maybe Linux drivers could be useful, I know that Linux driver for YMF744 exists as a part of the ALSA, and also the OSS (Open Sound System):
http://opensound.hg.sourceforge.net:8000/hgro … /drv/oss_ymf7xx

If we find a kind person to help us, it will define the further development of the hardware design - then we'll be able to make the "upper" expansion board based on S/PDIF DAC, with superior quality (if compared to the AC97 codec). And if we don't, we'll have to revert to the basic simple approach, taking the Line-Out from the STAC9707T.

AWE64 Legacy

Reply 123 of 169, by Bancho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Rayer on this board is probably someone you want to speak too. I thought he wrote a tool for pure Dos SPDIF for the YMF cards. I think I remember reading the registers were found in a thread on here.

Reply 125 of 169, by hard1k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Guys, you two are absolutely awesome, thank you so much! If you ever decide to buy a Fortex once it is released, both of you are entitled to a 10% discount off retail price, for your valuable contribution. Just please don't hesitate to remind!

AWE64 Legacy

Reply 126 of 169, by Shreddoc

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You're very welcome, and thank you! 😀 (tbh, Bancho's tip made it easy for me to find - but am very happy to have helped in any way)

Progress is great! Continuing best wishes for this awesome project.

Reply 128 of 169, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Very nice. Following.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 129 of 169, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

was getting a little impatient, so I tried the real thing. SQ2500 + Labway 744
I did digital out on vortex to digital in on XG

Initial impressions are IRQ and resource nightmare, but its doable on Asus p4p800se reserving IRQ 5 and 7 in the BIOS helped. I assign SB emulation for the vortex on IRQ5 and Sb emulation for the XG on IRQ 7.

Only thing I tested so far was Tyrian 2000. I used Vortex for SB emulation and XG for midi and the game tested good and ran fine like that. No crash. This game does not run of XG without SB link and either crashes or doesn't work with either driver set, however the MIDI works with VXDs.

Attachments

Reply 130 of 169, by hard1k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hello everyone,

I guess you thought that Fortex was on hold but not yet!
We've been sorting out some minor bugs, and just ordered a new prototype:

Fortex prototype 1.2.0 (front).jpg
Filename
Fortex prototype 1.2.0 (front).jpg
File size
155.57 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
Fortex prototype 1.2.0 (back).jpg
Filename
Fortex prototype 1.2.0 (back).jpg
File size
189.56 KiB
Views
File license
PCB render from the factory.jpg
Filename
PCB render from the factory.jpg
File size
139.99 KiB
Views
File license

So far we are stuck with only one major issue - when we choose YMF744's external MIDI in the Win9x multimedia applet and try playing anything (i.e. sending any MIDI command), the player stops responding. We need this function for the wavetable header, and haven't come even close to understand the cause of this behaviour, it just hangs no matter if daughterboard is there or not, or if the AU8830 part is enabled or disabled:

Fortex hangs.jpg
Filename
Fortex hangs.jpg
File size
174.66 KiB
Views
File license

Video: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1tp_u_SCRDVZ0 … iew?usp=sharing

We've tested the same thing on a regular YMF744 card, no issues at all, working as intended.
So far our two hypotheses are:
1. We've got somewhat faulty YMF744 chips - will be tested on the next prototype by soldering a tested chip from a working donor card.
2. YMF744 MIDI controller/driver does not like sitting behind a PCI-PCI bridge - we need some help from the community to test a regular YMF744 board on any period correct server/workstation motherboard that has a secondary PCI bus derived from an Intel/TI/DEC PCI-PCI bridge chip. For example, an Intel L440GX+ will do perfectly. Anyone willing to help out there?

AWE64 Legacy

Reply 131 of 169, by ExplodingLemur

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
hard1k wrote on 2023-04-23, 14:52:

2. YMF744 MIDI controller/driver does not like sitting behind a PCI-PCI bridge - we need some help from the community to test a regular YMF744 board on any period correct server/workstation motherboard that has a secondary PCI bus derived from an Intel/TI/DEC PCI-PCI bridge chip. For example, an Intel L440GX+ will do perfectly. Anyone willing to help out there?

I just bought an L440GX+ off eBay and I've got a YMF744 sound card to test with. I'll give it a try when the motherboard arrives.

Reply 132 of 169, by hard1k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Great, thank you very much!

AWE64 Legacy

Reply 134 of 169, by hard1k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't believe that's the case actually, but what we're trying to achieve is to discard any malfunction of YMF744 behind a PCI-PCI bridge. So the chipset doesn't really matter.

AWE64 Legacy

Reply 136 of 169, by hard1k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Exactly.

AWE64 Legacy

Reply 138 of 169, by hard1k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

We'll find that out soon, I guess!

AWE64 Legacy