VOGONS

First post, by FreddyV

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi,

As it is quite an achievement, I decided to create a new Post for the Tandy DAC with Mod Master.
As I now Know the DAC quite well, you can ask me questions on its usage.

So, Mod Master now Work on the Tandy DAC with Good Result on the Tandy 1000 TL/2:

22KHz (And a Little more) for 8 Channels
48KHz for 4 Channels.

I did some recording and here is the first video I published:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hCYbzV8Z8U

The mix speed is slower in the videos as I use an 8 Bit EMS Card.
I now modified Mod Master to use the "Standard" Memory in priority, but did not test.

Reply 4 of 21, by McCheeseBob

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This is great! It's a really nice all-in-one package for all kinds of music in hardware. I've been messing around with this on my Tandy 1000 RSX. First player I've used to actually recognize the DAC. I haven't been able to get it working for MODd or VGM through the DAC/PSSJ-3, though it works great out of my Sound Blaster. For MODs it loads the file but won't play it, toggling the pause/play button will slowly advance the track with no audio, would you know what might be causing this? Also for VGMs it defaults to playing SBVGM at 378h instead of the 1E0h needed for the RSX, so it just quits right after trying to load a VGM. Any help would be appreciated, this is certainly a fine player you've made.

Reply 5 of 21, by FreddyV

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
McCheeseBob wrote on 2020-12-12, 01:13:

This is great! It's a really nice all-in-one package for all kinds of music in hardware. I've been messing around with this on my Tandy 1000 RSX. First player I've used to actually recognize the DAC. I haven't been able to get it working for MODd or VGM through the DAC/PSSJ-3, though it works great out of my Sound Blaster. For MODs it loads the file but won't play it, toggling the pause/play button will slowly advance the track with no audio, would you know what might be causing this? Also for VGMs it defaults to playing SBVGM at 378h instead of the 1E0h needed for the RSX, so it just quits right after trying to load a VGM. Any help would be appreciated, this is certainly a fine player you've made.

Are you testing mod Master ?
Is the DAC Port detected correctly ?
I can't test with a RSX, I don't have one.

For SBVGM, if you change the Port number in the Mod Master option, it will send a command line to SBVGM to change the port.
In the Output menu, press tab to configure the "Synth" Outputs.

Reply 7 of 21, by McCheeseBob

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks! That seemed to be the case, MODs works great when I pulled out my Sound Blaster. On the VGM side of things it still references the wrong address for my RSX. I'm able to use command line SBVGM fine, though this player defaults to 378h for Tandy VGMs. Is there any way to make it default to -t1E0 for SBVGM in Mod Master?

Reply 9 of 21, by McCheeseBob

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok, SBVGM properly inserts the -t1E0 line when playing a file but doesn't report a sn76489 found after "searching for hardware" appears. Then it quickly pops up with "detected hardware can not play VGM" before closing. It works fine if you directly call the file to load right after -t1e0 in the command line, but not from ModMaster.

Reply 10 of 21, by FreddyV

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Mod master does not detect the correct port ?
Why do you need sbvgm if mod master is working ?

I would like to have an SB and the DAC still working in the tandy TL, I don't know if it is possible... I also still don't know why it does not work.

Reply 12 of 21, by McCheeseBob

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes, it's set to the correct port for sn76489 vgms in the synth output and properly puts the command when loading the vgm, but SBVGM itself doesn't seem to respond to the port acknowledgement. Everything on the mod master setup seems to be properly working, just that the way it loads a file for sbvgm doesn't seem to properly recognize the soundchip.

If possible SBVGM32 support would also be nice for bigger VGMs.

Reply 15 of 21, by McCheeseBob

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry for all the confusion. OPL2 and OPL3 VGM files work fine in modmaster with a soundblaster, though some can't play due to memory limits, mod master is most likely eating up some of sbvgm's ram and sbvgm can't access the ems memory that mod master can.

Tandy VGMs do not work even with the proper synth settings and sound blaster removed. They do work if I use the same settings in a dos prompt but not through mod master, at least for my RSX. All I can surmise is that possibly mod master is calling sbvgm in a way that doesn't trigger the command line requirements and only uses its autodetection, as while I can see the correct command being put in sbvgm cannot find the SN76489.

Reply 17 of 21, by FreddyV

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi,

I did improve the Tandy 1000 TL/2 Filter, now, all the frequencies are present 😀
(Hardware modification)

https://youtu.be/LHoeJ0wAoyg

This is crazy the sound quality this machine can achieve.

I also did the video explaining what I did.
https://youtu.be/LHoeJ0wAoyg

Reply 18 of 21, by McCheeseBob

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Saw your filter video, it definitely sounds great.

Also didn't know about the native playback, haven't tested it yet. Do I just remove the sbvgm files?

My RSX has a tandy sound port at 1E0 instead of the usual C0.