VOGONS

Reply 80 of 420, by SScorpio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
mothergoose729 wrote on 2021-02-24, 21:53:

Love this project! Feature request time!

Will there be ways to cycle ROMs for munt (CM32L, old MT32) as well as load different sound fonts from within DOS like you can with MDF and a midi PC emulator?

These are already features of MT32 Pi.

NM: I keep thinking this is going to run MT32 Pi, which is should if possible as that's bare metal versus running MUNT under Linux.

Last edited by SScorpio on 2021-02-24, 22:25. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 81 of 420, by dreamblaster

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mothergoose729 wrote on 2021-02-24, 21:53:

Love this project! Feature request time!

Will there be ways to cycle ROMs for munt (CM32L, old MT32) as well as load different sound fonts from within DOS like you can with MDF and a midi PC emulator?

yes, especially as MT32 supports this, the new pcb there will have a 'SYN' button to switch between synth engines (MT32 or Fluidsynth)
and a 'BNK' button to cycle between ROMs (for MUNT) or soundfonts (for fluidsynth)

redesign almost ready, hope to have prototypes made soon.

Attachments

• mccake.png
    Filename
    mccake.png
    File size
    215.83 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Visit http://www.serdashop.com for retro sound cards, video converters, ...
DreamBlaster X2, S2, S2P, HDD Clicker, ... many projects !
New X2GS SE & X16GS sound card : https://www.serdashop.com/X2GS-SE ,
Thanks for your support !

Reply 84 of 420, by matieo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am very excited by this product, its ideal for those of us who can only get away with one retro system.

I am doomed to a purchase, its a perfect upgrade for my "jack of all trades" system : 440BX, C3 Ezra, Voodoo 3, YMF719 + DreamblasterS2

Do you intend to make it possible to change synths with sysex commands?

Gigabyte 440BX, C3 Ezra 866, Voodoo 3, 512mb, 32gb SSD, YMF718+Dreamblaster S2
Toshiba Satellite 320CDT 233mhz, 64mb, 32gb SSD

Reply 85 of 420, by CMB75

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Good things coming up. We're really interested in updates and progress on these new options.

WP32 McCake or MP-32 ... already forcing hard decisions on which one to get ... probably both ... where is that "order now" button 😉

Reply 86 of 420, by d0pefish

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
bnz99 wrote on 2021-02-24, 22:29:

4 button pins: What if Dale decides to use the encoder button 🤣 I can see myself already modding an old case.

Dale definitely will use the encoder button soon, I'd strongly recommend adding a pin for it... 😉

US1wUaR.pngg
💾 Download | 📚 Documentation | Support

Reply 88 of 420, by CMB75

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Warlord wrote on 2021-02-26, 01:24:

This thing will make a real MT-32, hardmpu and just about every soundcard project obsolete. Can't wait.

I tend to disagree. We still need good sound cards with good SNR and a plethora of options.We already have the Orpheus (I’m not talking about availability) and the upcoming AWE Legacy which are very exciting, too.

We agree, can’t wait 😉

Reply 89 of 420, by Oetker

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This thing will make a real MT-32, hardmpu and just about every soundcard project obsolete. Can't wait.

Won't this still require hardmpu / softmpu for games that need it for a real mt-32? Not to mention you still need a card with otherwise bug-free midi.

Reply 90 of 420, by SScorpio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Oetker wrote on 2021-02-26, 07:45:

Won't this still require hardmpu / softmpu for games that need it for a real mt-32? Not to mention you still need a card with otherwise bug-free midi.

Yes, all of that with the addition of needing a clear-sounding input on the card since the audio out will be routed through the sound card.

Everything this does can be accomplished externally with a regular Pi, but making this internal cuts out a ton of clutter and additional cabling. Even with this, I'd probably still use external synths with it. Fluid synth can sound great and you can make some amazing per game instrument mixes, but it still doesn't sound like a real SC-55 or MU-80.

Even with all that, for most people having something inexpensive they plug into an otherwise unused port on their sound card that can give a big upgrade over FM or PC speaker music. Ya, this will be awesome.

Reply 91 of 420, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Oetker wrote on 2021-02-26, 07:45:

It wont require hard MPU. Of course you can use soft softmpu. You can probably get away with a OPL3 SAx card no special card needed.

Last edited by Warlord on 2021-02-26, 12:59. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 92 of 420, by SScorpio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Warlord wrote on 2021-02-26, 12:47:

It wont require hard MPU. It's a Waveblaster compatible card. So it just goes into the wavetable header. You just need a card that has one without bugs, thats not that hard to find.

You still need either a HardMPU or to run SoftMPU for some games that require an intelligent MPU401 interface. The wavetable header passes the MIDI I/O, Power, and audio over it. On the MIDI I/O side of things it's not magic and doesn't do anything connecting a synth externally doesn't already do.

That said you likely can get away with just running SoftMPU. The games that require intelligent mode are all older and I'd don't believe any have their own memory managers so you can use EMM386 or QEMM which SoftMPU requires while running those games.

Reply 93 of 420, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

a real MT-32 is already obsolete :p that's not the point, if you wanna listen to and have the feel of using a real MT-32 you need a real MT-32 this exists to get support without having to try track down and pay for a MT-32 :p and on top of that no external devices needed.

Reply 95 of 420, by dreamblaster

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Latest revision works fine now,
with button and LCD support.
I will make a first very small run.

Attachments

• DSCN9826.JPG
    Filename
    DSCN9826.JPG
    File size
    1.08 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Visit http://www.serdashop.com for retro sound cards, video converters, ...
DreamBlaster X2, S2, S2P, HDD Clicker, ... many projects !
New X2GS SE & X16GS sound card : https://www.serdashop.com/X2GS-SE ,
Thanks for your support !