VOGONS

First post, by kolderman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Is there a soundcard or some kind of covox-like plug that will do the job? I know it works in DOSBOX but I wanted to know what physical solutions exist.

Reply 2 of 12, by digger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There are several projects here on Vogons, for instance an ISA card in this topic: Tandy Nano - 3 Voice Soundcard ISA - Lowprofile

There is also this topic, in which patches are shared to enable 3-voice Tandy music on non-Tandy machines that are equipped with such cards: Re: The 3 voice sound PCjr/Tandy 1000 games patching thread!

And lastly, there is also a TND2LPT project, which is a parallel port device that has the same 3-voice synthesizer on it. However, it requires a TSR to make it work with games that support Tandy music (on top of the aforementioned patching).

Reply 4 of 12, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Or simply use a home made D/A converter for the parallel port (Covox Speech Thing) in combination with the TEMU TSR.

It will emulate the 3-Voice chip in software.
The result isn't too shabby, I think. 😀
Of course, the real chip will be better.
Especially in respect of the noise channel, for example.

Re: Covox speech thingy!!!

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 8 of 12, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
tyukok wrote on 2020-12-05, 15:42:

out of stock

Reply 10 of 12, by kolderman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jo22 wrote on 2020-12-05, 11:06:
Or simply use a home made D/A converter for the parallel port (Covox Speech Thing) in combination with the TEMU TSR. […]
Show full quote

Or simply use a home made D/A converter for the parallel port (Covox Speech Thing) in combination with the TEMU TSR.

It will emulate the 3-Voice chip in software.
The result isn't too shabby, I think. 😀
Of course, the real chip will be better.
Especially in respect of the noise channel, for example.

Re: Covox speech thingy!!!

Ok this is good. I have an aztech that supports covox wonder if it's compatible.