Hi Vogons,

This is a really weird issue, I'll try my best to explain:

Firstly system:
CPU: 1.4Ghz P3 Tualatin
Mobo: Asus TUSL-2c
ram: 512mb
Grx: PCI V5 5500
Snd: Creative Xfi platinum
hdd(s): 1x 16gb CF card (system) 1x 64gb CF card (games)

Problem:
System was working perfectly, and had been for a long time. Was installing some old games like Homeworld 1/2 on my drive. Tried playing Homeworld 2 and noticed the sound was all distorted. I thought this was just an issue with the game at first, but then I noticed the same issue cropping up in other games! Quake 1, Quake 2, Quake 3, Sin, Alice... But! No distorted audio in Unreal engine games, Unreal, Rune, Deus Ex... Also I tried some others without issue, Thief, System shock all perfectly fine. So strangely seemed to only effect ID software engine games? Not sure.

Audio recording of issue, recorded from Q3a: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1hNVF3ThWNOsa … iew?usp=sharing

Things I have tried:
I am no stranger to troubleshooting old systems and I've tried pretty much everything:
WAS on Win2k SP5 -
Tried re-installing sound drivers
Tried changing system from ACPI to Standard
Tried assigning custom IRQs
no joy
INSTALLED XP SP3
Tried different and updated sound card drivers
Tried different graphics drivers
Tried changing PCI slot positions, getting different IRQs

Nothing.. the only odd thing was for some reason I fixed Quake 2 by using different OpenGL ICD drivers. Was using MESA, changed to normal 3dfx ICD, the crackling went away. I have a funny feeling it is somehow related to the graphics drivers. I think I will play around with those tomorrow.

Anyway, thought I would see what others thought of this peculiar issue. Thx.

Reply 1 of 4, by mzry

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I just did another fresh install of XP this time with the last official 3dfx drivers. The problem is improved but not gone, see this video:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1hXyb54IeXmJH … ew?usp=drivesdk

Seems the audio goes bad when the FPS drops. When viewing the portal. I'm not sure why as the card has its own IRQ 7, seems like some kind of over reliance on the CPU or something to do with DMA.

Reply 2 of 4, by _UV_

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Creative cards know to have problems with wrong PCI latency. Maybe with ID engines you have too tight data transfers to VooDoo so it affects SB performance. IRQ is irrelevant with ACPI and XP, OS using "virtual" IRQs.

Reply 3 of 4, by mzry

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
_UV_ wrote on 2020-12-07, 03:30:

Creative cards know to have problems with wrong PCI latency. Maybe with ID engines you have too tight data transfers to VooDoo so it affects SB performance. IRQ is irrelevant with ACPI and XP, OS using "virtual" IRQs.

Do you have any suggestions for a different sound card? Thx

Reply 4 of 4, by _UV_

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Suggestions... Yamaha or Aureal, or even semi professional cards like ESI/M-Audio if you not interested in EAX, thats IMO, because to my ears early 3D or positional sound mostly produce strange sound, but later software engines used by devs produce very accurate and pleasing sound stage. But... hardware acceleration is good in terms of offloading up to 20% CPU time in case you have game with multiple simultaneous audio samples, let's say more than 8.