VOGONS

First post, by sndwv

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I am cleaning a 2nd hand SC-88VL, and noticed there is a bit of slightly tacky 'gunk' sticking out from between the front panel and the top edge of the glossy black plastic shield (where the 'all', 'mute', etc. buttons live). Does anyone know how this piece is attached to the front panel? Is it glued in (and could this be old glue), or is it clipped on / can it come off? I assume this is the same with this SC-88VL and similar modules like the SC-55.

Reply 1 of 6, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You need to open up the unit to be able to access all of the screws/clips holding the front panel, two of the screws holding it in place are under the metal top cover. To access them, loosen and remove the screws on the sides of the unit, and the one in the middle top of the back, then slide off the top cover.

I'm not sure it's possible to remove the glossy plastic shield...

Reply 2 of 6, by sndwv

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks! Yes, got so far as the front panel as a whole, but taking it apart would take some surgery. But unless I know the glossy plastic bit is supposed to clip off and back on (even if the previous owner attempted to glue it) I am not going to attempt it.

Reply 3 of 6, by Cbb

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

as far as I see it on these pics, there should be a small tab in the center of the lid that you should push from inside of the front panel. I think that full disassembly is necessary to keep the lid safe/uncracked

Attachments

Reply 4 of 6, by sndwv

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks for these. Still a bit difficult to see, but it does indeed look like there is a consistent center hole for some sort of plug or clip. Darn, that would point towards the previous owner haven broken it off and having glued it back in place. I'll do some soul searching and see if I'm going to try and take it off to clean and reglue it better.

Reply 5 of 6, by Cbb

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I think that round hole is IR sensor for remote control, the cut in the middle I presume is for center clip, and two cuts on the right are definely for side ones.