VOGONS

First post, by Zuon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

A while ago, I released the "Better Music Mod" for Mega-Man X on MS-DOS. What I did for this mod is take better composed MIDIs of the game's soundtrack from VGMusic, converted them to XMI, and added loop points where there previously weren't any. However, this was intended for General MIDI, and while Sound Blaster output did sound slightly better than the default DOS music, it can't be said it was optimized for FM playback.

On Youtube, I stumbled across Savaged Regime's channel, where he creates all sorts of rearranged versions of songs to be played on the Sega Genesis sound chip. This has given me hope that with careful tuning, FM can still sound really awesome.

Does anyone know any pointers, articles, software, or bones they can throw at me on where I can start learning how to edit the files from my Mega Man X music mod and reconfigure them for more pleasant FM playback?

In case you missed the mod upon release, here is the original thread.

[RELEASE] Mega Man X - Better Music Mod for MS-DOS - Testers Welcome.

Reply 1 of 4, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

One problem is that OPL is a lot less capable than OPN is, even 4 op mode of OPL3 isn't gonna help tremendously though with many channels available and made use of some impressive things can be done (a guy called MadBrain made some great things for example).

Another problem is that what is being done by Savaged Regime is not just good instruments, but also realtime parameters adjusting to create all the nice expressive sound that guy is able to do which means the entire soundtrack must be redone in such manner to even approach the nice sound possible.

Finding the instruments and tweaking them shouldn't be too hard but actually editing new things into the music data can be quite not trivial...

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 2 of 4, by Zuon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Tiido wrote on 2020-12-22, 18:37:

One problem is that OPL is a lot less capable than OPN is, even 4 op mode of OPL3 isn't gonna help tremendously though with many channels available and made use of some impressive things can be done (a guy called MadBrain made some great things for example).

Another problem is that what is being done by Savaged Regime is not just good instruments, but also realtime parameters adjusting to create all the nice expressive sound that guy is able to do which means the entire soundtrack must be redone in such manner to even approach the nice sound possible.

Finding the instruments and tweaking them shouldn't be too hard but actually editing new things into the music data can be quite not trivial...

Are there any guides to just finding and tweaking the instruments I can look into to start with, then? Even if I don't know how to do something, I'm always open to learn. When I decided to make my mod in the first place, I had no idea what I was doing, but the human drive to learn can be amazing sometimes.

Reply 3 of 4, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I imagine in many things the instruments should to follow the same ordering as chip registers (for ease of loading etc.) and they should stand out as on orderly and aligned table with many repeating values. This is assuming there's no compression etc. getting in the way too.

I wouldn't know about any guides etc, and all resources I know of are consoles centric.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 4 of 4, by Zuon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Tiido wrote on 2020-12-22, 20:54:

I imagine in many things the instruments should to follow the same ordering as chip registers (for ease of loading etc.) and they should stand out as on orderly and aligned table with many repeating values. This is assuming there's no compression etc. getting in the way too.

I wouldn't know about any guides etc, and all resources I know of are consoles centric.

That is something I've noticed regarding sound chips. The fan base for console chiptune trickery seems to be much larger than PC Sound Card variants. Thus information on such a topic is rather lacking in comaprison.
Still, thank you for getting me started on what to look for.