VOGONS

First post, by avxstudios

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey all,
I've got an Aiwa PC-MT601 (Win95 based All in one) which has a CS4232 on the motherboard along with an OPL3, I've tried a bunch of drivers but getting mixed results, the only ones that seem to work at the ones in the ORCHID3D folder on the Win95 disk.

Sound seems to work fine in Quake, and in Heretic, but for games like Doom and Duke3d, even when selecting the same sound setup as I did in Heretic, there is both no music and no SFX.

The other issue is the card shows up as 4 devices,

Orchid NuSound PnP 32
NuSound PnP 32 Audio
NuSound PnP 32 Gameport
NuSound PnP 32 MPU-401

The latter three install fine, but the Orchid NuSound PnP 32 gives a yellow exclamation stating Code 28 drivers not installed correctly, but when I point it to the same Orchid3D folder as the other drivers installed fine from, it doesn't seem to find anything, and weirdly if i run the setup program in the orchid3d folder, it gets so far then asks for disk 2.

If i try other drivers I get varying degrees of the same, issue with other CS4232 drivers only installing on 2 of the 4, or none at all.
Any ideas on the best approach with this?

Here's the motherboard :
Iut1SoY.jpg

Also if anyone can ID this card, I'd be appreciative / impressed.
OjkF2oT.jpg

Reply 1 of 2, by avxstudios

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've done some more digging around, namely I dumped the SST29EE010 bios to see if the internal values could help with identification of the board,
The board itself states ARIES_3P / DOC 14750 on the silkscreen.

Info pulled from the bios:
Bios Version : Award Modular BIOS v4.51PG
Bios Info : 06/05/96-VT82C570M-2A5L9F09C-00
Bios Message : Version 4.066G86A
Bios ID : 2A5L9F09

It also contains two compressed sections, a3p_7652.rom and ncr307.rom which the latest version of award bios editor cannot decompress/view.

What makes this difficult is that the references to Aries are NOT related to the Intel 420EX chipset, the chipset on this motherboard is entirely VIA, it has a Crystal 4232/OPL3 onboard along with a S3 Trio64V+, so all things considered a nice little board.

If you're curious, this is how the computer looks overall:
El55n2VU0AAB2WY?format=jpg&name=large

I'm told by my Japanese vintage PC friends that it's now extremely rare.