VOGONS

First post, by AntiRevisionism

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

My main retro system has three sound cards that I use depending on the OS and game loaded. I'm currently using my monitor's built in speakers, so I have a cable coming out of each sound card and then it's just a matter of swapping in the right cable to the monitor's audio input jack.

At some point though I'd like to use a dedicated set of speakers, which leads to the topic question. What are some good ways of managing such a setup?

Reply 1 of 5, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
AntiRevisionism wrote on 2021-02-16, 18:23:

My main retro system has three sound cards that I use depending on the OS and game loaded. I'm currently using my monitor's built in speakers, so I have a cable coming out of each sound card and then it's just a matter of swapping in the right cable to the monitor's audio input jack.

At some point though I'd like to use a dedicated set of speakers, which leads to the topic question. What are some good ways of managing such a setup?

Cheapest way is probably using an audio switch like this https://www.amazon.ca/TENINYU-Port-Switch-Com … /dp/B079ZZK1FY/ (not an endorsement, just an example) . This is a mechanical one, but there are electronically controlled ones and even ones with remotes . Many of them can also switch analogue video, but that part can be ignored if not needed .

Another option is an inexpensive line mixer like this https://www.amazon.ca/Rolls-MX42ROLLS-Stereo- … /dp/B00102ZN40/ (not an endorsement, just an example) .

The advantage of using a mixer is that it would allow you to chose one sound card for wave audio and another for music . If you do not have or foresee that need, an audio switch is likely the easiest solution, IMHO .

Reply 2 of 5, by mothergoose729

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

An audio switch. You can find them in RCA, TOSLINK, or 3.5mm varieties. Some of them have cross talk though, so it can sometimes be worth it to pay a little extra for hi fi audio grade.

You can also split RCA audio with cheap cables without degrading the quality much. For example if you want to use headphones and speakers without fuddling with the cables each time.

Personally, I am making an effort to move to all digital. My DAC has dual outputs.

Reply 3 of 5, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
mothergoose729 wrote on 2021-02-16, 18:33:

An audio switch. You can find them in RCA, TOSLINK, or 3.5mm varieties. Some of them have cross talk though, so it can sometimes be worth it to pay a little extra for hi fi audio grade.

You can also split RCA audio with cheap cables without degrading the quality much. For example if you want to use headphones and speakers without fuddling with the cables each time.

Personally, I am making an effort to move to all digital. My DAC has dual outputs.

Just to be clear, splitting an output to two input is fine, safety-wise if not quality-wise, but combining the outputs of multiple sources into one input using passive cabling is a no-no as it can damage equipment, AFAIK .

Reply 4 of 5, by mothergoose729

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
darry wrote on 2021-02-16, 18:42:

Just to be clear, splitting an output to two input is fine, safety-wise if not quality-wise, but combining the outputs of multiple sources into one input using passive cabling is a no-no as it can damage equipment, AFAIK .

Yes! Sorry if I didn't make that clear. You split the output only.

Reply 5 of 5, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
darry wrote on 2021-02-16, 18:42:

you can go from multiple outputs to one input by making a summing cable with resistors in between... which in simple terms is technically just a mixer without the controls and preset values instead ^^

I once made a cable like that to go from a stereo-output to a mono-input