VOGONS

First post, by Zuon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

There was a topic posted here about this issue before by someone else, and it was determined that the reason Gabriel Knight hung/stalled the Sound Canvas upon exiting the game was because Sierra hardcoded a command to send to the MIDI port that was incompatible with the way the ESS Audiodrive operated. I don't recall a solution to this issue being discussed, but if there is one, I'd like to hear it. It's awfully annoying to have to do a complete shut down/reboot of DOS just to get my Roland working again. The rest of the system will still run, but only with Sound Blaster capability until said reboot is performed. Gabriel Knight is the only game that does this, and is the only SIERRA game that does this.

Note: Sometimes exiting the game leaves an annoying hanging note if you exit in the wrong part of the song.

Reply 1 of 1, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Interesting. I had a different issue with my ESS 1868F.

Gabriel Knight would somehow mute the Line In on that card, so I would get only sound effects. But if I connected the Sound Canvas directly to my speakers instead of going through the ESS card, music would play normally.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi