VOGONS

First post, by skyfoxxp

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello all,

I have been following this forum for a very long time now, but never had the opportunity to create a new topic !

I got recently a DB50XG MIDI daughterboard, that remains totally silent. I am 100% sure of my test setup. A Korg Wave MIDI DB on the same SB16 waveblaster plays nicely.
So this is the DB 50XG that is clearly defective.

As I am totally not skilled to do such investigations and repairs, could you please give me some contacts of people that would accept to repair it ?

Your help is very appreciated !
Thanks a lot.

Reply 1 of 8, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I believe I know this card. It looks like new but doesn't output anything. It didn't work on my test system while my other one did. Something is broken...

Just an advice... don't buy anything that is tested non-working and you don't know how to fix it - it's not worth the money.

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 2 of 8, by skyfoxxp

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for your reply. I managed to get a refund from the seller, but I am pretty sure that someone skilled could spot the defect (bad cap / solder joint...) and repair it.
Those cards are now incredibly rare...

Reply 3 of 8, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ah, then this must be some other card. This seller was selling it for parts and description was clear that the card was tested and didn't function. I doubt he would refund anything.

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 4 of 8, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have repaired one DB50XG which was silent. It turned out to be a defective DAC chip on that particular card.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 8 of 8, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have now made the card work again, but unfortunately it didn't have an easy problem. It turns out the actual sound chip and one of the sample ROMs were damaged, possibly from 12V stub from a capacitor on a neighboring card getting in contact with an unfortunate location. It is one reason I very much dislike chips on top WB cards, they will nearly always collide with neighboring card since clearance is pretty much nonexistent.

Unfortunately the replacement chips come from another (expensive) Yamaha device...

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜