VOGONS

First post, by Vanguard3000

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, all!

Basically, I've been trying to get a good rip of the into music for the 1993 PC version of Space Hulk (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAMv5gN7u94), with no voice over or sound (there don't seem to be settings or command line params to disable them). I've been able to rip the midi file itself (https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xIkNY3t-jZbd … iew?usp=sharing), but using default codecs, it just doesn't sound the same. My goal would be to play the music using the original soundfont from the game, but I have no idea how to do that - my midi knowledge is pretty scant, which is why I'm coming to you folks for some assistance.

I've tried asking about this on a few subreddits and whatnot, and got limited results. I know you're a busy guy and I'm not expecting you to waste too much time on this, but if you have any advice, or tools that might help, I'd be happy for the help.

Thanks in advance!

Reply 1 of 11, by Shreddoc

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Quick thought. Might not be of any use.

I note that these are the game files of the original DOS version :

Screenshot from 2021-03-03 12-16-49.png
Filename
Screenshot from 2021-03-03 12-16-49.png
File size
112.44 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

It may be possible to manipulate the "*pcm*" files, for example zero-byte or zero-fill some or all of them, to 'hack' the game into 'not being able to play the sounds you don't want'.

If that works, you could then capture a clean non-disrupted version of the intro music from the game itself.

--

Or, much less complicated, just try to source the music, from somewhere like this:
http://www.mirsoft.info/gmb/music_info.php?id_ele=OTgx

It sounds like Amiga MOD style format to me (which has all the instrument samples built into the file), but if you say it's a MIDI then I won't argue.

Reply 2 of 11, by Vanguard3000

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey, thanks for the reply!

I tried messing around with what I figured would be the sound files and the game wouldn't boot. I was going to experiment further but then realized the cutscenes ends sooner than the track, so the end is cut off anyway.

And you're right, those are Amiga music files. They're for the Amiga version, which has totally different music. I've tried that site (and other similar ones) already; most VG music resources only have the Amiga tracks unfortunately.

Reply 3 of 11, by Rawit

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Space Hulk supports Adlib. Comment out any SET BLASTER / Sound Blaster related configuration. It will probably just poll the Adlib port and give you music and no SFX. Otherwise try to misconfigure the DMA channel temporarily. It should point to a DMA not in use though.

YouTube

Reply 4 of 11, by Shreddoc

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Vanguard3000 wrote on 2021-03-03, 02:49:

Hey, thanks for the reply!

I tried messing around with what I figured would be the sound files and the game wouldn't boot. I was going to experiment further but then realized the cutscenes ends sooner than the track, so the end is cut off anyway.

And you're right, those are Amiga music files. They're for the Amiga version, which has totally different music. I've tried that site (and other similar ones) already; most VG music resources only have the Amiga tracks unfortunately.

In the interests of building upon what you have already done, it would be useful to know what technique you used to obtain the "midi" file you say you have.

Can you not simply play that MIDI file through an OPL3, using for example Falcosoft MIDI Player?

And why is my (probably faulty!) memory telling me the PC version of Space Hulk used Amiga MOD format music? I mean, those basically were the "soundfonts of the era" back then, built into the music file itself.

Reply 5 of 11, by Vanguard3000

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Rawit wrote on 2021-03-03, 08:38:

Space Hulk supports Adlib. Comment out any SET BLASTER / Sound Blaster related configuration. It will probably just poll the Adlib port and give you music and no SFX. Otherwise try to misconfigure the DMA channel temporarily. It should point to a DMA not in use though.

As I mentioned in another reply (I should have specified this in my main post) the cutscene ends/loops before the music track ends. Because of this, recording directly from the game wouldn't be ideal, even if the sfx could be removed.

Shreddoc wrote on 2021-03-03, 10:38:

In the interests of building upon what you have already done, it would be useful to know what technique you used to obtain the "midi" file you say you have.
Can you not simply play that MIDI file through an OPL3, using for example Falcosoft MIDI Player?
And why is my (probably faulty!) memory telling me the PC version of Space Hulk used Amiga MOD format music? I mean, those basically were the "soundfonts of the era" back then, built into the music file itself.

I had originally asked on Reddit here, and one of the commenters was kind enough to convert it from XMI format using Midiplex. Unfortunately I'm not really familiar with midi formats or conversion; I had tried converting it using various online players and whatnot, but only Cloud player could play it, though it used a generic font and it wouldn't allow me to save the file.

Sorry for my dumbness about all of this. I really appreciate your help so far.

Reply 6 of 11, by Shreddoc

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Vanguard3000 wrote on 2021-03-03, 21:36:
As I mentioned in another reply (I should have specified this in my main post) the cutscene ends/loops before the music track en […]
Show full quote
Rawit wrote on 2021-03-03, 08:38:

As I mentioned in another reply (I should have specified this in my main post) the cutscene ends/loops before the music track ends. Because of this, recording directly from the game wouldn't be ideal, even if the sfx could be removed.

Shreddoc wrote on 2021-03-03, 10:38:

I had originally asked on Reddit here, and one of the commenters was kind enough to convert it from XMI format using Midiplex. Unfortunately I'm not really familiar with midi formats or conversion; I had tried converting it using various online players and whatnot, but only Cloud player could play it, though it used a generic font and it wouldn't allow me to save the file.

Sorry for my dumbness about all of this. I really appreciate your help so far.

You're not dumb! Just learning. As are we all, in life. 😀

For avoidance of confusion or doubt, could you please locate and post a Youtube video of this introduction, one which plays the exact version of music you want to achieve? (edit : don't worry, just noticed the video link in your OP)

Last edited by Shreddoc on 2021-03-03, 22:32. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 7 of 11, by Rawit

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you still have the XMI file you can use this:

PX Player: play MID and XMI files under DOS

You'll need a DOS enviroment though, be it hardware, virtual or DOSbox. The Adlib option should provide you the sound you're after.

YouTube

Reply 8 of 11, by Vanguard3000

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ooh! That worked! Adlib was close but not perfect. I tried a bunch of them and found a few that were pretty good, but I also noticed a MIDI.DRV file in the game files. On a whim I renamed it to MIDI.ADV and used that, and it seemed to work pretty well - it's apparently the "Thunderboard" font/codec/whatever.

Can PX save/convert the file by chance? I'd like to output it as an mp3/wav/ogg/etc. I could try and figure out how to record the speaker output but it seems to be slightly choppy at times.

In any case, thank you both for all the help with this. It's not much but I've been obsessing about this for a while now and it's good to see an end in sight. 😉

Reply 9 of 11, by Rawit

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just checked the PX readme's and such, didn't see an option to write to file. I don't know what setup you're using but line-out -> line-in or Virtual Audio Cable could help with recording the output.

YouTube

Reply 10 of 11, by Stretch

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I downloaded the Space Hulk demo and found that the instrument files are in the same folder as the MIDI files.

Copy the MID_DIR folder to the PX folder, and rename HULK_AD.MID to SAMPLE.OPL or SAMPLE.AD.

Then, make sure there is a DEFDRV.INI file with sbp2fm or adlib.

HULK_A.MID should sound exactly like it does in-game without the voice-over when played in PX.

Win 11 - Intel i7-1360p - 32 GB - Intel Iris Xe - Sound BlasterX G5

Reply 11 of 11, by Vanguard3000

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks everyone for the help. I used Audacity to record the audio output as it played. It still doesn't sound perfect, but I was able to get it pretty close, and have uploaded it here for anyone interested: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1clcw2fd50s