VOGONS

First post, by dnewhous

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This is a soundfont that looks interesting so I downloaded and ran an executable and have no idea where it is on my computer if it is anywhere. Has anyone else tried it?

Daniel L Newhouse

Reply 3 of 4, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dnewhous wrote on 2021-03-04, 16:22:

It's supposed to place the extracted files in the same directory. I guess you would call it a self extracting archive.

Or it is a virus/piece of malware disguised as a self-extracting archive...

Reply 4 of 4, by dnewhous

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It doesn't sound half bad. The best freeware soundfont is OmegaGMGS2.sf2. Aspirin is also worthy of note. Soniqbear does something weird with the timing. Aspirin corrects it. There is some sort of pre-delay with the drums, if done correctly. Omega fixes the vocals, it's like there's a note that isn't hit without it.

Specifically, I'm talking about Sleeping Sun.mid. I shit you not, the vocals sound sharp with the other MIDI banks.

There's a patch change. The other banks read the vocals as "lead 6" whereas OmegaGMGS2 reads them as "choir aahs" until the 3rd chorus, when it switches to "lead 6."

K, the fluid synth soundfont now that my ears have adjusted is better. It switches to choral Aahs just before the guitar solo.

Another site to go to if you want midis to test with is https://www.angelfire.com/ky/kissmidi/. I Stole Your Love is the song at the beginning of Detroit Rock City.

The synergi soundfont sounds better. It is a little awkward for Sleeping Sun. It has a little Yamaha XG character to it, so it sounds weird at times.

Attachments

Daniel L Newhouse