VOGONS

First post, by Dragonslayer182

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello, I have a Thinkpad T30 that I'm thinking of putting Windows 98 on. Unfortunately, it has a messed up headphone jack, and the dock's headphone jack has terrible sound quality (Not to mention the dock is too bulky anyways). I would like to get the SB Audigy 2 ZS PCMCIA version working under windows 98, but I don't know if drivers even exist for that. I have the card fully working under XP, so no issues there. Is there any way I can do this?

Model number is SB0530, if that helps.

Attachments

• 1_20_1799826.jpg
    Filename
    1_20_1799826.jpg
    File size
    41.3 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Discord: Dragonslayer182#8984

Reply 2 of 10, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've read many times its not. But thats not to say how hard the people tried to get it working. One of these days I'm going to get around to fully trying it.

WMD drivers should work. It's the vxds that people say don't.

Reply 4 of 10, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I tired mixing drivers but could never get it to work in 98SE.

The original driver CD has the 9x driver for the gameport on it which it doesn't even have but nothing else prior to Win2x/XP.

The CDs for both the retail box and the clamshell packaging are the same. I have both.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 5 of 10, by Dragonslayer182

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Alright, I suppose this card is out of the question for 98 gaming. Are there any 98-compatible PCMCIA sound cards that I could use?

Discord: Dragonslayer182#8984

Reply 6 of 10, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Dragonslayer182 wrote on 2021-03-11, 04:46:

Alright, I suppose this card is out of the question for 98 gaming. Are there any 98-compatible PCMCIA sound cards that I could use?

Why not get a modern USB sound device that is class compliant (https://www.cambridgeaudio.com/usa/en/blog/ou … should-i-use-it) and use that ? They work under Windows 98 SE and ME, at least . See Re: need temporary sound

Reply 7 of 10, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
darry wrote on 2021-03-11, 05:17:

Why not get a modern USB sound device that is class compliant (https://www.cambridgeaudio.com/usa/en/blog/ou … should-i-use-it) and use that ? They work under Windows 98 SE and ME, at least . See Re: need temporary sound

a Audigy would be nice for cpu offloading. too bad it sounds like it won't work.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 8 of 10, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Sphere478 wrote on 2021-03-11, 06:28:
darry wrote on 2021-03-11, 05:17:

a Audigy would be nice for cpu offloading. too bad it sounds like it won't work.

IMHO, before wishing for CPU offloading, just finding a card that

a) is Cardbus compatible (the T30 has a Cardbus slot see http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/CardBus_slot and has backwards compatibility with PCMCIA, AFAICT)
b) has Windows 9x drivers
c) is actually available for purchase
d) is not being sold for an insane price

is challenge enough .

Once you get a list of those, you can start comparing feature sets and nice things to have . On Ebay.com , for example, there are currently two matches if we consider only "a" and none if we consider any of the other criteria .

Class compliant USB audio devices are virtually guaranteed to work, plentiful and cheap . If nothing else, one can be used as a temporary solution until something better is found .

Reply 9 of 10, by lolo799

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There are many, look at the link in my signature.
Finding one isn't easy, finding one that does everything you want is harder.

PCMCIA Sound, Storage & Graphics

Reply 10 of 10, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

And finding one for a good price is the hardest though they do pop up every once in a blue moon.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK