VOGONS

First post, by thenix

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've put the card in and got drivers for the specific cd for it from archive.org. The cards and drivers say they are for windows 9x. When I try to run the setup it gets an error and closes. When I go into device manager and and update the drivers it will update just fine. In device manager the card is seen under the multimedia section, however I don't get a speaker icon to adjust the volume and I get no volume. If I look under multimedia in the control panel it says I don't have a device that will output volume, and if I load up a game that tests for a sound card it says I don't have one installed. This being the case I was hoping for a little help in how I should go about troubleshooting next. Any advice is appreciated, thanks.

Reply 1 of 6, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
thenix wrote on 2021-03-11, 20:17:

When I try to run the setup it gets an error and closes.

Don't you think it might be useful to know what that error message is..?

WDM drivers definitely won't work with Windows 95, but I expect that CD still has VXD drivers. But then, the other question is: is there some reason you are running Windows 95 instead of 98?

Reply 2 of 6, by thenix

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry about that. The error was kind of a generic error, it says it's performed an illegal action, and in the details says it's a page fault in the register. I'm not sure what exactly that means, it sounds like it's having trouble integrating itself with the windows 95 OS. It shows which type of drivers it's trying to install which is VXD drivers so that part is good.

As for the other question, this is a P1 machine with (now that I upgraded it) 64MB of RAM. I feel like Win95 works best here but also I have plenty of 98 machines and I just want to put 95 on this one.

Thanks for the response and hopefully we can figure out what's happening

Reply 3 of 6, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
thenix wrote on 2021-03-12, 01:12:

It shows which type of drivers it's trying to install which is VXD drivers so that part is good.

So you're saying you get partway through the setup before it crashes? Does the setup program give you any options?

Is this a fresh install of Windows 95, or a much older one from an unknown source?

Also, are you sure this card is functional? (I think you should be able to boot Puppy Linux and try it out there. That will not require drastically re-arranging your hard drive.)

Just for kicks, as a quick-and-dirty solution, what happens if you disable the parallel and serial ports in the BIOS? (I assume you're not using them.)

Reply 4 of 6, by thenix

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jorpho wrote on 2021-03-12, 02:52:
So you're saying you get partway through the setup before it crashes? Does the setup program give you any options? […]
Show full quote

It shows which type of drivers it's trying to install which is VXD drivers so that part is good.

So you're saying you get partway through the setup before it crashes? Does the setup program give you any options?

Is this a fresh install of Windows 95, or a much older one from an unknown source?

Also, are you sure this card is functional? (I think you should be able to boot Puppy Linux and try it out there. That will not require drastically re-arranging your hard drive.)

Just for kicks, as a quick-and-dirty solution, what happens if you disable the parallel and serial ports in the BIOS? (I assume you're not using them.)

The installation process is it brings up a box that asks what drivers I want to stall (has 3 choices but only allows me to choose VXD. I assume the other choices are like if I'm installing on xp/2000 instead) I click next and it both gives me a box saying it's installing and the error message.

I haven't tested the card on another system although I could move it over to 1 quickly, or try it on puppy linux like you suggest. I'll try that soon, but I just got the card from ebay so I was assuming it was still working.

I'll also try turning off parallel and serial ports in the bios as you suggest when I get a chance to do that here and let you know how it goes with all these.

Reply 5 of 6, by thenix

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jorpho wrote on 2021-03-12, 02:52:
So you're saying you get partway through the setup before it crashes? Does the setup program give you any options? […]
Show full quote

Sorry about the wait. I've moved the card to another computer that is using lubuntu and it works just plugging it in. So the card is working. As far as the older computer I turned off the parallel and serial ports in the BIOS (although I use a serial mouse because it doesn't have PS2 support) and not getting a change. Doesn't work or let me go through the setup for the drivers installation. Looking at the BIOS it is kind of different that what I'm used to. It had specific settings for PCI slots with pre programmed IRQs and such. I was able to turn it to plug n play mode so it's supposed to automatically assign all that now but it also didn't help. I'm wondering if that section of the bios is causing a problem though.

Reply 6 of 6, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
thenix wrote on 2021-03-13, 18:54:

Sorry about the wait. I've moved the card to another computer that is using lubuntu and it works just plugging it in. So the card is working.

That's a good sign, yes, but I think it might still be a useful test to establish whether it works in Puppy Linux in the motherboard where you want to use it . (Of course, if it doesn't work in Puppy Linux, then that just means Puppy Linux might have different problems.)

As far as the older computer I turned off the parallel and serial ports in the BIOS (although I use a serial mouse because it doesn't have PS2 support) and not getting a change.

Oh well, it was worth a shot.

Looking at the BIOS it is kind of different that what I'm used to. It had specific settings for PCI slots with pre programmed IRQs and such. I was able to turn it to plug n play mode so it's supposed to automatically assign all that now but it also didn't help.

I think I know what you're referring to, but considering that motherboard dates back to approximately the same era as the card, I doubt the BIOS features render it specifically incompatible.