VOGONS

First post, by kalm_traveler

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hey guys, I apologize for the doofy question but I googled a bit and can't find what hardware is used to 'fix' a wavetable card to a sound card.

Specifically, I'm using a Roland SCB-55 wavetable card on an Aureal Vortex 2, and noticed immediately that the SCB is hanging quite a lot. Inspecting the two cards, I notice that they both have 4 small holes that line up with each other around where the wavetable card goes, which makes me think that some engineer foresaw this dilemma and came up with some kind of mechanism to more securely attach the two together but I'm not finding what exactly is supposed to use those holes.

Anyone know what I need to be looking for?

*EDIT*

in the installation manual it refers to these things as plastic spacers but mine didn't include any and it seems like you'd need something to pull the two together...

Attachments

• scb55install.JPG
    Filename
    scb55install.JPG
    File size
    48.87 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Retro: Win2k/98SE - P3 1.13ghz, 512mb PC133 SDRAM, Quadro4 980XGL, Aureal Vortex 2
modern:i9 10980XE, 64gb DDR4, 2x Titan RTX | i9 9900KS, 32gb DDR4, RTX 2080 Ti | '19 Razer Blade Pro

Reply 2 of 12, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

My NEC XR385 came with the little legs depicted above but they're specific to that board in my experience - not all connectors are the same height. So yeah just measure the distance b/w the PCBs and find a standoff on eBay or whatever - I've also used those adhesive rubber bumpers for cupboard doors - all ya need is something in there to stop them sagging together. Not a problem for little DBs but the bigger ones can move around a bit.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 3 of 12, by skel2raw

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have already tried many PCB Standoffs but wasn't able to find the ones with the perfect fit. Some are too short, some are to long and other are simply to thick. Back then the standoffs were delivered together with the daughterboard. If you find the perfect standoffs, let us know please 😀

Reply 4 of 12, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Super easy fix would be to just get some vacuum hose with close to the correct inside diameter from your local auto-parts store and cut to the correct length.

Then you can use two zip-ties to make a holder for each hole.... one zip tie goes all the way through with the head keeping the zip tie from going through and then the other zip tie is just used for the head part of it and will be the part that holds on the other side.

Other than that, a hardware store might sell some plastic spacer stock which you could cut to length.

If you want to be able to use screws to hold the spacers in place, a hobby store (think remote control and models type hobby store... not like Hobby Lobby or Michaels though they may have something as well) will have small taps that can be used to thread the inside of a plastic spacer... they would even most likely have spacer stock that you could use.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 5 of 12, by kalm_traveler

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
skel2raw wrote on 2021-04-26, 06:25:

I have already tried many PCB Standoffs but wasn't able to find the ones with the perfect fit. Some are too short, some are to long and other are simply to thick. Back then the standoffs were delivered together with the daughterboard. If you find the perfect standoffs, let us know please 😀

Thank you - I'll try measuring the spacing and see if Amazon or eBay have anything that might work. I'd assumed that since the holes on both are the same size and seem to be a Wave Blaster compatible spacing that it would be a somewhat standard size but haven't found anything just perfect yet. I'll poke around today and report back.

Retro: Win2k/98SE - P3 1.13ghz, 512mb PC133 SDRAM, Quadro4 980XGL, Aureal Vortex 2
modern:i9 10980XE, 64gb DDR4, 2x Titan RTX | i9 9900KS, 32gb DDR4, RTX 2080 Ti | '19 Razer Blade Pro

Reply 6 of 12, by kalm_traveler

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

ok the holes look to be 3mm wide, and the distance from the top of one PCB to the bottom of the other is about 12mm. Time to find some plastic standoffs/clips!

*EDIT* these look about perfect, going to order some and will report back:

https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/70 … emSeq=362827957

Reply 8 of 12, by kalm_traveler

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Pierre32 wrote on 2021-04-26, 23:51:

Another option is one of the assorted packs from ebay. You get numerous sizes, and they wouldn't be an issue to trim if needed.

ooh thank you - wish I would have seen this before placing an order with Digikey. Ah well, I needed to pick up an SMD resistor to repair a spare TUSL2-C motherboard and decided it was time for a desoldering vacuum pump as well so if these spacers don't fit I can always try that ebay assortment pack next 😀

Reply 9 of 12, by kalm_traveler

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

received my DigiKey order today but found that I measured wrong, and have placed another order now that I'm pretty sure I have the correct measurements:

the spacing is ~ 10mm and the holes are ~ 4mm so I'm trying these:
https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/70 … d7yfW8F4sWfYd8g

Reply 12 of 12, by Pierre32

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Keatah wrote on 2021-07-23, 22:00:

I get an inner hole diameter of of 2.95mm and a between panel - to - panel height of 11.43mm. This from a Creative Labs WaveBlaster II and SB16. Ct1910 and CT1740.

I still think one of these assorted standoff kits is the best idea. I think you'll find a good size in here without having to hack anything, and the kits are handy to have in general. https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/312347730955