VOGONS

First post, by PC-Engineer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi,

i have a Roland LAPC which plays the Midi files and Midi tracks in Games very loud (unpleasant loud on Headphones) and with some distortion at this level. With a Windows Midiplayer i can reduce the Midi volume to a pleasant value and the distortion is gone. Is there an option to reduce the general volume of this card, e.g. with a DOS „mixer“ or a special midi file which i can play every startup to set the volume - maybe to 75%?

Thanks and best regards
Lutz

Epox 7KXA Slot A / Athlon 950MHz / Voodoo 5 5500 / PowerVR / 512 MB / AWE32 / SCSI - Windows 98SE

Reply 1 of 9, by Spikey

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah, you'll need to send a SysEx file to lower the master volume. Any of the QuestStudios Sierra SysEx files lower the volume from 100 to 80, so those could be a quick and easy way to do it.

BTW, Lutz, weren't you on the QuestStudios forums years ago? 😀

Reply 2 of 9, by PC-Engineer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hey, thanks for the hint. Please would you describe what i have to do? I have no experiences with SysEx.

And i wasn‘t at QuestStudios, it must has been another Lutz 😀

Last edited by Stiletto on 2021-05-13, 17:38. Edited 1 time in total.

Epox 7KXA Slot A / Athlon 950MHz / Voodoo 5 5500 / PowerVR / 512 MB / AWE32 / SCSI - Windows 98SE

Reply 4 of 9, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Spikey wrote on 2021-05-13, 14:01:

Hey! Ok, so you just need a SysEx file, which I can send you, and you also need a program which can send SysEx.

Are you on a vintage setup or a modern PC?

The LAPC-I tells me "vintage". 😉

EDIT: Except if he uses the LAPC-I with an ISA-USB interface...???

YouTube and Bonus
80486DX@33 MHz, 16 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & GUSar Lite, PC MIDI Card+X2+SC55+MT32, OSSC

Reply 5 of 9, by PC-Engineer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Spikey wrote on 2021-05-13, 14:01:

Hey! Ok, so you just need a SysEx file, which I can send you, and you also need a program which can send SysEx.

Are you on a vintage setup or a modern PC?

That would be very nice. Thanks a lot!

I have a simple DOS midi player (DOSMID). I would prefer a simple DOS tool, like this midiplayer, so I could just run this from command line via autoexec.bat on every startup or via a batchfile, before every game.

And i have a real vintage 486 with a real LAPC-I in a normal ISA Slot.

Reply 6 of 9, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Here is DUMP.EXE that sends .SYX messages , just use it with "DUMP VOLUME70.SYX" and volume will be lower
I also attached a RESET.SYX for mt32/cm32/lapc-i devices, in case you have a stuck note - saves a reboot

Attachments

• Filename
    dump+vol70+reset.zip
    File size
    17.89 KiB
    Downloads
    45 downloads
    File comment
    DUMP + VOLUME70 + RESET
    File license
    Public domain

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 7 of 9, by PC-Engineer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi Keropi, thanks a lot. I will test it tomorrow. Is there anything to configure like I/O address or IRQ.