VOGONS

First post, by Lazer42

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am working with an integrated ESS1938 on a Gigabyte GA-5sMM board. I have the correct DOS drivers installed. I've actually tried different ones, both from Phil's Computer Lab and the Vogons library as well. I have a gameport->MIDI cable on the gameport and can get MIDI out to my Sound Canvas in DOS games.

In Windows 3.1, I also have the drivers installed and audio works fine on the card, as does MIDI played back through the on-board synth. What I cannot get to work is MIDI out to the Sound Canvas. There is an MPU401 driver installed as part of the ESS installation, it's called audmpu.drv, and I have a MIDI Mapper configuration set up to output to that MPU port, but whenever I try to play a MIDI everything freezes up.. Well, it doesn't freeze up entirely, it just starts to run very, very, very slowly and the computer respond to any input and needs to be reset.

I've tried changing the IO port in the control panel drivers applet, which hasn't done anything. There doesn't seem to be a way to actually change the port/IRQ that the card wants to use for MPU-401 output anyhow. I have also tried installing a variety of other MPU-401 drivers, from Roland as well as Microsoft, just to see if it might work but it does not.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Reply 1 of 2, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I don't know to be honest.

But maybe there's an IRQ conflict?

IRQ 2/9 might be used by both ACPI and MPU-401.

And EGA/VGA sometimes (retrace thing).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interrupt ... hitecture)

MIDI port 330h might also conflict with ethernet cards?

Edit: Maybe you can manually edit system.ini and put the default MPU-401 driver back in charge?
From what I remember, the default drivers are compatible with both Standard/Enhanced-Mode.
Maybe these 16-Bit drivers are more friendly.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 2 of 2, by Lazer42

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jo22 wrote on 2021-05-10, 04:42:
I don't know to be honest. […]
Show full quote

I don't know to be honest.

But maybe there's an IRQ conflict?

IRQ 2/9 might be used by both ACPI and MPU-401.

And EGA/VGA sometimes (retrace thing).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interrupt ... hitecture)

MIDI port 330h might also conflict with ethernet cards?

Edit: Maybe you can manually edit system.ini and put the default MPU-401 driver back in charge?
From what I remember, the default drivers are compatible with both Standard/Enhanced-Mode.
Maybe these 16-Bit drivers are more friendly.

I have tried editing system.ini and the Microsoft drivers. They won't recognize an MPU401 existing, even though SoftMPU can in DOS.