VOGONS

First post, by Scythifuge

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Greetings,

My Ultimate Win98SE box has a Sound Blaster Live! installed for Windows games, and an AWE32 installed (disabled under Windows) for MS-DOS games. What is the best option for using one set of speakers with both cards? If only one card is outputting sound at a time, would a 3.5mm 2x male / 1x female Y-adapter be sufficient and not require a passive mixer, or do I need a passive mixer? Also to complicate matters, I will eventually be using a KVM+audio with this PC. Another, pain-in-the-rear option that I considered is to buy 3.5mm extension cables, route them and velcro them under my monitor, and manual swap the speaker cable. Hopefully I don;t have to do that!

Scythifuge

Reply 1 of 4, by zyga64

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Scythifuge wrote on 2021-05-12, 17:59:

Greetings,

My Ultimate Win98SE box has a Sound Blaster Live! installed for Windows games, and an AWE32 installed (disabled under Windows) for MS-DOS games. What is the best option for using one set of speakers with both cards? If only one card is outputting sound at a time, would a 3.5mm 2x male / 1x female Y-adapter be sufficient and not require a passive mixer, or do I need a passive mixer? Also to complicate matters, I will eventually be using a KVM+audio with this PC. Another, pain-in-the-rear option that I considered is to buy 3.5mm extension cables, route them and velcro them under my monitor, and manual swap the speaker cable. Hopefully I don;t have to do that!

Scythifuge

Connect AWE32 line-out to SB Live! line-in, and use PARUS's SBlive mixer for DOS Multichannel DOS mixer for DOS sound builds v0.49 for Live, v1.01 for Audigy
I have similiar configuration: SBLive+SB16 and it works as it should.

1) VLSI SCAMP /286@20 /4M /CL-GD5422 /CMI8330
2) i420EX /486DX33 /16M /TGUI9440 /GUS+ALS100+MT32PI
3) i430FX /K6-2@400 /64M /Rage Pro PCI /ES1370+YMF718
4) i440BX /P!!!750 /256M /MX440 /SBLive!
5) iB75 /3470s /4G /HD7750 /HDA

Reply 2 of 4, by Scythifuge

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
zyga64 wrote on 2021-05-12, 18:24:
Scythifuge wrote on 2021-05-12, 17:59:

Greetings,

Scythifuge

Connect AWE32 line-out to SB Live! line-in, and use PARUS's SBlive mixer for DOS Multichannel DOS mixer for DOS sound builds v0.49 for Live, v1.01 for Audigy
I have similiar configuration: SBLive+SB16 and it works as it should.

Thank you. Does this mean that I need SB Live! Drivers for DOS? I am trying to load only what I have to while playing with memory addresses to get as much as I can with the largest executable size (600k+,) or does the SB Live! simply pass the audio through?