VOGONS

First post, by RockstarRunner

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have an Aztech Sound Galaxy card, and WSS works in some DOS games, but not others, and I would love to know why.

Card: Aztech Sound Galaxy Nova 16 Extra II (I38-MMSN846)
Main chips: Aztech AZT2316R, Crystal CS4231A-KL (WSS chip), Yamaha OPL YMF262-M
Configured as:
SET GALAXY=A220 I7 D1 K10 P530 T6
SET BLASTER=A220 I7 D1 T4

This card uses a command line tool called SETMODE, that you use to initialize the card to SBP or WSS mode. I run this before any game to ensure it's in the correct mode.
WSS seems to be using DMA 0, this does not seem to be a setting I can change in software or jumpers (that I have found).
Sound Blaster Pro mode works in every game I have, without issue.
WSS works great in some games, but others either won't find it in configuration, or don't produce sounds in game.

Games working:
Daggerfall
Descent
Screamer
Screamer 2
Terminator: Future Shock
Terminator: Skynet
Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo
Turrican
Tyrian 2000
Tomb Raider

Games not working:
Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars (config tool will not initialize the WSS mode)
Grand Theft Auto (config tool will not initialize the WSS mode)
Freddy Pharkas: Frontier Pharmacist (no sfx in game)
Gabriel Knight: Sins of the father (No sampled music on start screen, game seems to be running slow, paperboy never arrives)
Quest For Glory 4 (no sfx in game)
Space Quest 5 (no sfx, 'simulator' never opens in the intro, progressing no further)

I'm sure it's noticeable quite quickly, that it's mostly Sierra games in the 'not working' list, but it's not exclusive to them.
If anyone can help me get these games working with this card in WSS mode, I'd really appreciate it.

*** UPDATE ***
Sierra games are now working after applying 640K!enough fix drivers !!!
The two other games are using Miles sound drivers, still looking for a solution for those.

IMG_20210430_194152~2.jpg
Filename
IMG_20210430_194152~2.jpg
File size
1.75 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
Last edited by RockstarRunner on 2021-06-16, 14:05. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 1 of 23, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

From my (limited) experience, cards on which WSS support is provided by a Crystal chip tend to have slightly worse game compatibility than cards where WSS is provided by an Analog Devices chip.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 2 of 23, by Oetker

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Maybe the posts around Orpheus Soundcard: a new DOS soundcard with SPDIF/OPL3/MPU support will help, it was about improving Sierra game WSS compatibility with the Orpheus card.

Reply 3 of 23, by mothergoose729

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have an orpheus, which is a community sound card that uses a crystal chip. If the game supports WSS, and it was released after 1995, they almost all work. Some exceptions there but generally pretty good. For WSS games released between 1993-1994 compatibility seems to be pretty poor. I don't know what the difference is between early WSS and later WSS but that seems to be the difference.

There were some WSS patches made in the orpheus thread that might fix for you leisure suit larry 6 and Space Quest 5. You can use the same patched driver file with Space Quest IV, and if you modify the resources.cfg to use it, add WSS support to that game which never supported it. There are more Sierra games that support WSS but none of them work right for the orpehus, unfortunately, although many of them can be played in windows and in that environment they sound excellent.

There are also many games that use the "miles sound driver" (.DIG files), most of which already support WSS but some don't. You can add WSS support to these games by taking the DIG file from one game and adding it to the directory of another and modifying the configuration files.

Last edited by mothergoose729 on 2021-06-16, 07:17. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 4 of 23, by RockstarRunner

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Good point, Oetker. I have been reading that thread (I also own an Orpheus, great card), and was considering trying the fix drivers, but I think it mentions they only effect port 534, leaving the other standard WSS ports to the original driver implementation, and the Sound Galaxy won't let me configure WSS to that specific port. I might try them anyway, not like it could make it worse I suppose.

Great tip about the Miles drivers, mothergoose729, I need to see if those other non-working games are using them.

Reply 5 of 23, by mothergoose729

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
RockstarRunner wrote on 2021-06-16, 07:16:

Good point, Oetker. I have been reading that thread (I also own an Orpheus, great card), and was considering trying the fix drivers, but I think it mentions they only effect port 534, leaving the other standard WSS ports to the original driver implementation, and the Sound Galaxy won't let me configure WSS to that specific port. I might try them anyway, not like it could make it worse I suppose.

I don't know why port 534 has to be the setting in orphinit, but the games all use port 530. It's worth a shot... the chips are similar.

Reply 7 of 23, by RockstarRunner

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Great news, the fix drivers modified by 640K!enough made the Sierra games work!
Thanks to 640K!enough for his work there, and to Keropi & Cloudschatze for supplying the originals. Also thanks for you guys for getting me to try them.

Next step is to find some Miles drivers that will work, as I only have 3 games that use it, and two of those are mentioned here as not working, and the other doesn't have the mssys driver at all.
Any body got a clue where to look for that?.... Didn't have to look far, there is a collection available on vogonsdrivers 😁
I'll test to see if anything in that pack helps, and report back.
Unfortunately they didn't help.
There are two relevant driver sets in that collection, and neither could initialize the card in wss mode. Not sure what to try next.

Last edited by RockstarRunner on 2021-06-16, 18:20. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 8 of 23, by mothergoose729

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
RockstarRunner wrote on 2021-06-16, 14:02:
Great news, the fix drivers created by 640K!enough made the Sierra games work! Thanks to 640K!enough for his work there! And tha […]
Show full quote

Great news, the fix drivers created by 640K!enough made the Sierra games work!
Thanks to 640K!enough for his work there! And thanks for you guys for getting me to try them.

Next step is to find some Miles drivers that will work, as I only have 3 games that use it, and two of those are mentioned here as not working, and the other doesn't have the mssys driver at all.
Any body got a clue where to look for that?.... Didn't have to look far, there is a collection available on vogonsdrivers 😁
I'll test to see if anything in that pack helps, and report back.

That's awesome! I used the WSS driver from warcraft 2 in my Miles games.

Reply 10 of 23, by mothergoose729

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
RockstarRunner wrote on 2021-06-16, 16:29:

I just tried Warcraft 2, but it has the same problem, the setup program just won't initialize it.

Modify the DIG.ini file manually and point it to the correct driver.

Reply 12 of 23, by mothergoose729

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
RockstarRunner wrote on 2021-06-16, 16:41:

I looked at that, but wasn't sure about the different parameters, and it didn't work, so I either got it wrong or Miles hates something about my setup.

Which games(s) are you trying to add WSS too? I might have a driver/digi file for it already.

Reply 14 of 23, by 640K!enough

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
RockstarRunner wrote on 2021-06-16, 14:02:

Great news, the fix drivers created by 640K!enough made the Sierra games work!
Thanks to 640K!enough for his work there! And thanks for you guys for getting me to try them.

It's important for me to mention that I did not write those drivers. I merely did the necessary trouble-shooting and found the right place to modify a few bytes so that they would work correctly with the Orpheus card. This applies specifically to use of the digital ("S/PDIF") output. Since you are working with a card that has a CS4231, the original drivers posted by keropi (originally shared by Cloudschatze) a page or so earlier should work just as well.

That driver still does some pretty strange things, so I may try writing a new WSS driver for Sierra games from scratch if I ever feel like I have some time to waste, but I'm not making any promises.

Reply 15 of 23, by RockstarRunner

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You're quite right, I'm going to modify my post, and thank them too. Unfortunately there are so many posts there about it, and I was focused on testing the drivers, that I didn't see others were involved.

Reply 16 of 23, by 640K!enough

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What I meant to say was simply that they are slightly modified versions of an original Sierra-provided driver; none of us is responsible for writing it. The company that now owns the old Sierra On-Line IP still holds the copyright.

mothergoose729 wrote on 2021-06-16, 07:19:

I don't know why port 534 has to be the setting in orphinit, but the games all use port 530.

While I'm here (again), I might as well address this, too. This isn't specific to ORPHINIT, and that is the value used because it is actually the port that cards based on Crystal controllers use. The original Crystal software does the same thing, and actually trying to configure it as 530H will result in the software being unable to find the card.

The reasoning is actually a little convoluted. The original Microsoft WSS board used an Analog Devices part, which was still at 534H, but other functionality was exposed at the other four I/O addresses (530H-533H). Some controllers reproduce that whole set-up (I think OPTi/MediaChips controllers do), whereas the Crystal controllers are only WSS CODEC compatible. So, software that only ever writes to the CODEC portion of the cards will work fine on all such cards, whereas software that actually tries to detect the presence of a WSS board via 530H will fail on cards with Crystal controllers, because there is simply nothing there. For software that allows it, it may sometimes be worth trying both 530H and 534H, depending on the driver design.

The original CS4231 does not have an integrated controller, and relies on a separate chip to provide that functionality. As such, whether the whole 530H-533H setup is present on a particular card depends on the controller used.

Reply 17 of 23, by RockstarRunner

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Interesting stuff for sure.
I tried setting port 534 for the Miles games, but no luck. A couple of quick quiet static pops in the left & right channels, followed by an error that the card could not be found.

Reply 18 of 23, by mothergoose729

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
640K!enough wrote on 2021-06-16, 18:51:
What I meant to say was simply that they are slightly modified versions of an original Sierra-provided driver; none of us is res […]
Show full quote

What I meant to say was simply that they are slightly modified versions of an original Sierra-provided driver; none of us is responsible for writing it. The company that now owns the old Sierra On-Line IP still holds the copyright.

mothergoose729 wrote on 2021-06-16, 07:19:

I don't know why port 534 has to be the setting in orphinit, but the games all use port 530.

While I'm here (again), I might as well address this, too. This isn't specific to ORPHINIT, and that is the value used because it is actually the port that cards based on Crystal controllers use. The original Crystal software does the same thing, and actually trying to configure it as 530H will result in the software being unable to find the card.

The reasoning is actually a little convoluted. The original Microsoft WSS board used an Analog Devices part, which was still at 534H, but other functionality was exposed at the other four I/O addresses (530H-533H). Some controllers reproduce that whole set-up (I think OPTi/MediaChips controllers do), whereas the Crystal controllers are only WSS CODEC compatible. So, software that only ever writes to the CODEC portion of the cards will work fine on all such cards, whereas software that actually tries to detect the presence of a WSS board via 530H will fail on cards with Crystal controllers, because there is simply nothing there. For software that allows it, it may sometimes be worth trying both 530H and 534H, depending on the driver design.

The original CS4231 does not have an integrated controller, and relies on a separate chip to provide that functionality. As such, whether the whole 530H-533H setup is present on a particular card depends on the controller used.

Thanks for clarifying that!

Reply 19 of 23, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
640K!enough wrote on 2021-06-16, 18:51:

The original Microsoft WSS board used an Analog Devices part, which was still at 534H, but other functionality was exposed at the other four I/O addresses (530H-533H). Some controllers reproduce that whole set-up (I think OPTi/MediaChips controllers do), whereas the Crystal controllers are only WSS CODEC compatible.

That's some very Interesting info. Considering that an Analog Devices chip powered the original Windows Sound System card, it makes sense that other sound cards that have their chips on-board would have the best WSS compatibility.

And yes, OPTi did often use Analog Devices chips on their cards, which is likely why their WSS compatibility tends to be top notch.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi