VOGONS

First post, by Chadti99

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Was having some issue with the voices in Dark Forces having static so I thought I’d swap out the ESS688 for a SB32/AWE32 model CT3600 I’ve had laying around.

Digital audio, like the Windows startup sound is fine, but not always. As soon as I try any music that might use the AWE 32 synth I get insane ringing, sometimes a barrage of random notes and instruments, but usually the ringing. This is happening in Windows 98. Is the card malfunctioning or is it possibly an IRQ conflict I’m not seeing?

Here’s a video of the random notes and instruments.

https://youtu.be/ns0wGEG768o

Reply 1 of 3, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What are the specs of the rest of the system?

What exact power supply and how old is it? Have you verified the voltages are in the proper range?

Pics of the card in question so we can look for any physical damage?

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 3 of 3, by Chadti99

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
darry wrote on 2021-07-26, 03:25:

An overclocked (above 8MHz or so) ISA clock could be a potential culprit .

I think this was exactly it! I've been running my bus at 40MHz with a 1/4 divider on the AT clock. I clocked it down to 33Mhz and she's running fine now. I feel pretty silly now, but have never run into this issue before. I really want this thing to work at 40Mhz bus but maybe that just isn't gonna happen. Now to figure out how to get Dark Forces to recognize that I have an AWE32 or compatible, Duke3D is picking it up no problem.