VOGONS

DOS32AWE - DOS/4G compatible DOS Extender with Sound Blaster AWEUTIL MIDI synthesizer support for Protected mode,VIASB

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 280 of 286, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
georgel wrote on 2022-08-15, 05:54:
mkarcher wrote on 2022-08-14, 17:33:
georgel wrote on 2022-07-31, 12:19:

I am not impressed by your reversing skills.

You don't need to be impressed. Anyway, here is a repository with usable source code: https://github.com/karcherm/dos32awe

I know some people are annoyed that recent versions of DOS32AWE refuse to work with EMM386. The code enabling this behaviour is seperated in a dedicated commit, and could easily be reverted, but I advise you to keep in the check for "running with DPMI host", so you might increase the "maximum allowed mode" constant from 1 (HIMEM loaded) to 2 (EMM386 loaded), but mode 3 (using external DPMI server) should stay forbidden, as the NMI forwarding logic is part of the DOS32A-integrated DPMI server, so it won't be enabled if an external DPMI server is used.

Your advice is completely incompetent because you can't figure out the reason this check was implemented. I doubt all of you would be able to improve anything in DOS32AWE because you were unable to reach yourself the solution I created. You had the only option - to reverse DOS32AWE to partially figure out what was going on in that simple code of mine .

cope

Reply 282 of 286, by asdf53

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It's easy to see why georgel became frustrated. He made this tool and helped others get it working, but when he asked for something in return (upload missing AWEUTIL version, or that sound font CD) he was ghosted. There was absolutely no need to gang up on him for reacting a bit grouchy.

I just tried DOS32AWE with VIAFMTSR (Soundblaster FM emulation for VIA Southbridge) and Duke Nukem 3D. It had choppy sound before but this fixed it. Thanks for your work!

Reply 283 of 286, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
asdf53 wrote on 2022-12-01, 23:06:

It's easy to see why georgel became frustrated. He made this tool and helped others get it working, but when he asked for something in return (upload missing AWEUTIL version, or that sound font CD) he was ghosted. There was absolutely no need to gang up on him for reacting a bit grouchy.

Problem with georgel was his attitude and although people didn't upload older versions of AWEUTIL or certain SoundFonts, they gave him hints about where to find them.

Currently, he is banned from this forum.

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 284 of 286, by asdf53

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

See, that was the problem. He uploaded his tool, but people couldn't be bothered to upload that little thing he asked for, he had to get it himself. That's when he felt disrespected. It may seem like a small thing but sometimes it can be the last straw. Just wanted to give a different perspective on this.